Talk

Advanced search

Extra Long Curtains

(15 Posts)
vintageteacups Fri 05-Aug-11 17:29:54

Hi - we're about to move into a lovely house that goes with DH's job but I have a curtain query.

Basically the house has 3 windows in the lounge with awful crispy burgandy curtains. I know they will clash with my sofas and I measured them today so I can replace with nicer ones.

Trouble is, they seem really long. I want them to touch the floor and the drop from the top of track to floor measures 2.60M. Width is 1.40M

The smaller of the 3 windows measures 1.10M width - same drop.

Anyone suggest where I can get cheap, nice, long curtains.
I've already looked at dunelm/Next etc and it'll cost a fortune.

Will it be cheaper to buy the material and get someone (not me hmm to run them up? I really want a very, very pale pink or a warm cream I think. Those colours would tone with both my furniture and the airforce blue hmm carpet!!! Any solutions - thanks smile

sophieinsurrey Fri 05-Aug-11 18:15:07

Hi,

Many of Ikea's curtains are really long (they are designed to be 'cut to length') we got some last year for some french doors with a window above, and they still gather on the floor.

Can't remember the 'name' of the ones we got, but they were brown (but also came in cream I think).

Hope the helps!

catsareevil Fri 05-Aug-11 18:20:03

Ikea curtains are all 3m drop as standard, and they come with a bit of webbing so that you can hem them to the length that you want. One way of making them look a bit better is to hang two pairs together, if you get one that is sheer (only works with tab tops though, you take alternate tabs from each curtain).

They tend to be pretty cheap too -I cant remember exactly, but around £30 a pair I think.

paddypoopants Fri 05-Aug-11 18:21:59

Laredoute do long length curtains - same as Ikea 350cm long so you can hem them. Harry Corry have started doing some of their curtains in longer lengths. Long curtains are a total pain- to have them made is sooo expensive. Some of the cheaper makes can look really good if you add a separate lining such as a blackout lining.

aftereight Fri 05-Aug-11 18:22:39

Another vote for ikea here, though their curtains aren't heavy or lined, so you may need to put blinds up behind them.

vintageteacups Fri 05-Aug-11 18:37:35

Thanks everyone - so could I get my mum to just line the Ikea ones then?

And do you reckon cream curtains would go with the melange of colours: aubergine sofa, dusky pink sofa, brown leather sofa and airforce blue carpet?

Eugh - sounds awful when I write that down!!!grin

midnightexpress Fri 05-Aug-11 18:40:17

Some of Ikea's curtains are lined.

vintageteacups Fri 05-Aug-11 18:46:20

Just looked at them and they're not great. Either too expensive (don't really want to pay £45 per pair) or too thin and not warm to stop draughts.

midnightexpress Fri 05-Aug-11 18:49:02

TBH I don't think you'll get any thick curtains cheaper in that length. We have v high ceilings and Ikea is the only place we've found that has a long enough drop. They are hideously expensive to buy in most places (have you, for example, seen the price of John Lewis made-to-order curtains?), and making them yourself will hardly work out cheaper than that, even in a plain fabric.

catsareevil Fri 05-Aug-11 19:05:49

Even £45 per pair is a god price for 3m curtains. Last time I got curtains professionally made up it cost hundreds per pair.

catsareevil Fri 05-Aug-11 19:08:10

Sorry, a good price. grin

vintageteacups Fri 05-Aug-11 19:16:41

okey dokey - just won't tell DH. Think is that it's a military quarter and their crap choice of what we have to put up with in our lounge is bizaare so we don't really want to fork out a lot iyswim?

vintageteacups Fri 05-Aug-11 19:17:06

I'm now looking at voiles instead. Doesn't really matter too much about losing heat as the winows are well glazed.

midnightexpress Fri 05-Aug-11 19:19:41

We have Ikea linen curtains in our sitting room and they obviously aren't as warm as thermal lined curtains, but we live in Scotland so it does get v cold here in winter, and they are big windows, and they really aren't too bad, if you have double glazing.

vintageteacups Fri 05-Aug-11 19:49:45

will have another look then..... smile thanks midnightexpress

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now