Talk

Advanced search

Can we add a bathroom?

(7 Posts)
firsttimer08 Wed 03-Aug-11 14:03:40

We have seen a property we like very much (its a relatively new build - 10 yrs old or so). For some odd reason however, it has a shower room and bathroom on the first floor, but none on the second floor (which has two bedrooms).

We are hoping that we can put a wc/shower room upstairs as well. But we have no idea whether this is possible in all cases or it is entirely possible that we cannot to put in a shower room up stairs? There is a water tank upstairs on the 2nd floor, so some pipes are there.

minipie Wed 03-Aug-11 15:18:02

Are you talking about extending the house, or squeezing in the bathroom by taking some space from the two upstairs bedrooms?

If extending - planning permission might not allow.

If not extending - I can't think of any reason why not. It may be more expensive to get the plumbing up there if there isn't a bathroom already (though helps that water tank is there), however there shouldn't be any reason why it's impossible.

I guess there isn't one already because it would mean the bedrooms had to be smaller?

firsttimer08 Wed 03-Aug-11 16:52:21

Thanks for the reply !! Oh good that we won't need planning permission .Yes it would take up some space from the bedrooms, but both are double rooms 18 X 14 and another 16 X 13 approx - and I am hoping we can squeeze out a shower room in one of them and the smaller room can be for ds who is <3 - so hopefully won't require as much space smile

minipie Wed 03-Aug-11 20:13:36

You shouldn't need planning permission but you might need building regulations consent (speak to the local council about this, they're usually pretty helpful) - but that's less time consuming/expensive than planning.

Certainly sounds like you could get a shower room in one of those, they are huge rooms!

I'm assuming the house is freehold by the way . If it's leasehold you would probably need the freeholder's consent to make alterations to the house.

The only other thing to watch out for is that sometimes, new build houses built on estates have restrictions built into their deeds (even if they are freehold) - for example I think some say you can't have a Sky dish on the front of the house. But the restrictions tend to be things that would make the place look messier/annoy the neighbours so I'd be surprised if there was anything that would affect putting in an extra bathroom.

ThunderboltKid Thu 04-Aug-11 09:22:39

If the pipes are already there it shouldn't be too hard, but its the waste that is difficult. Have a look where your current waste pipe runs (i.e. the stack from other bathrooms etc) and see if it can be joined onto that.

firsttimer08 Thu 04-Aug-11 16:21:59

Thanks. I guess we cannot find out without consulting a plumber I guess. I will check with the vendors as well. Perhaps they may be aware of others having done this. I was looking online and it seems for the waste, sometimes a macerator is used. Anyone familiar with this?

Pendeen Fri 05-Aug-11 14:49:44

Installing the fittings (shower / wc) and connecting mains cold water and electrics is relatively straightforward.

Less easy is the drainage (especially from the wc if it is nowhere near an existing soil stack) and hot water supply (because as the header tank is already on the second floor there wil be insufficient 'head to provide a decent flow of hot water) however a good plumber will be able to sort out all these problems for you.

You will have to install an extract fan even if there is an available window.

Building regulations approval (from your local council) will be required.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now