Talk

Advanced search

Bored of brown/chocolate walls - whats the new colour to paint a feature wall in my front room

(14 Posts)
ThePathlessPath Wed 03-Aug-11 13:39:42

Am liking yellow -= buttermilky but DH says its old fashioned

whats the current trend? just want a quick tart up not a complete refurnish
we livein a new build lots of white ikea sorage and light wood floors and a biege leather sofa which have to stay ;-)

narmada Wed 03-Aug-11 14:13:50

OK, honestly??? Not yellow... beige and yellow look horrible together. Something dark and contrasting - burnt orange, red, a nice shade of green? How about some nice wallpaper on just one wall - you can add interest with pattern that way, too.

narmada Wed 03-Aug-11 15:21:27

Sorry didn't mean to sound so very rude re looking horrible... ach, perils of quick typing while children take their micro-sleeps!

noddyholder Wed 03-Aug-11 15:31:32

No 'feature' wall

HoneyPablo Fri 05-Aug-11 09:09:15

Orange or lime green. I love feature walls.

OiMissus Fri 05-Aug-11 09:14:04

Black was the big thing a year or so ago, and if you have the cash to match it with feature furniture and accessories it can look absolutely stunning.
Alternatively, (again with a bit of splashing out) for about £400 depending on how big your wall is, you can get a favourite photo or image made into wallpaper for you. I really wanted to do this last time, but then couldn't find an image I wanted. To keep the quality of image absolutely crystal clear, you'd be best going to somewhere like www.istockphoto.com and buying a vector image (more like an illustration) for about £10. smile
hope this helps.

overgrownplant Fri 05-Aug-11 09:15:19

i like a feature wall - it's easier to update a tired room with one and you can change when you like, easier that changing an entire room.

i have just done some walls in teal which is nicer than it sounds will probably change again in the new year grin

HoneyPablo Fri 05-Aug-11 09:23:02

I love teal too, and we have it on a feature wall in the bed room. We have just finished the lounge and we have 2 deep burgundy walls, 2 sandstone (aka magnolia) walls and a lovely black wallpaper with spooky trees on the chimney breast wall. I like it a lot, but realise that it may not be to everyone's taste. It is very goth-inspired with lots of black accesories. But it works with my dark wood furniture.

ellangirl Fri 05-Aug-11 21:03:51

I'd say pale duck eggblue maybe, like this colour here

SinicalSal Fri 05-Aug-11 21:06:08

What about a nice heathery colour.

JennaTailor Sat 06-Aug-11 12:49:50

How about this one it looks good with browns and white

ilikeyoursleeves Sat 06-Aug-11 19:07:59

I just painted a feature wall in our living room in 'mulberry' by Sanctuary at Homebase. It's a lovely aubergine colour & it has transformed the room, I love it. The other three walls are candlelight ie cream.

bacon Sat 06-Aug-11 22:28:29

wallpaper feature walls with funky styles I'm not fussed in bland solid colour walls. Harlequin etc produce fab wallpapers with style and class. I do also like these decals or feature prints for around £100.

biryani Sun 07-Aug-11 20:01:32

I'd try Mulberry Burst by Dulux. Very strong but warmer than black.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now