Talk

Advanced search

Have to make a decision for a friend and really don't want to get it wrong - help me!

(16 Posts)
LadyPeterWimsey Tue 02-Aug-11 15:56:55

Very good friend has just bought house in stressful circumstances and has had to go away before making various decisions. She is a dear friend, and we love her very much and want to help all we can so DH is talking to builders and electricians to get things done for her return.

He wants me to chose a lamp to go outside her front door so the electrician can get on with the work and I can't decide. In one sense it doesn't matter because I know she will be grateful for whatever we choose but I would love to get it right for her, and not have her hate it and wish she could change it.

It is a little terraced cottagey house - Victorian, I would guess - brick, with white lintels and a dark blue front door with brass letterbox and knocker. She is a John Lewis sort of person but I can't find anything quite right on their website.

So, brass, white or black? Hanging or upright? Simple or more ornate? Help!!!

scurryfunge Tue 02-Aug-11 16:01:47

this sort of thing?

LadyPeterWimsey Tue 02-Aug-11 16:06:40

That sort of thing, I guess. But not really that sort of price if at all possible! And is black the safest option? Lots of ones I've seen have been black.

frans Tue 02-Aug-11 16:09:00

I'd go for that style in black too, try B&Q

LadyPeterWimsey Tue 02-Aug-11 16:19:34

Ok, will do.

minipie Tue 02-Aug-11 16:42:01

Is the light to go by the side of the front door or above it? If to the side, I'd probably go for one that is wall mounted. If above, I'd go for a hanging one (on an arm).

this site has a good range (though unfortunately they don't segregate between modern and period styles so you will need to flick through quite a lot of pages...!)

Which are the best on the john lewis site to give us more of an idea?

I'd go for black yes.

sweetheart Tue 02-Aug-11 16:46:34

there is a similar one in white here if you'd prefer

LadyPeterWimsey Tue 02-Aug-11 16:51:50

I think by the side of the door. There is nothing to hang a light on over the door except the flat white lintel which I think would look odd. Will check that site, thank you.

I guess the closest on the JL site would be maybe this or this although I don't really like either. I have wondered about this but am now in such an agony of indecision that I don't know what I like anymore, let alone what she would like!

LemonDifficult Tue 02-Aug-11 16:52:21

I have two period properties (one 1700s and one 1890s) and both have these from Homebase here and which look the business. Not style statements but inexpensive and quietly in keeping.

LadyPeterWimsey Tue 02-Aug-11 16:58:45

Here is one from the site minipie recommended which is ok but still fairly pricey. Will check out Homebase one.

minipie Tue 02-Aug-11 17:01:20

Oh I like that one from Homebase that you posted LadyPeter. Period style but not too fussy.

GrendelsMum Tue 02-Aug-11 17:01:26

Go for the one that LemonDifficult suggested. It's cheap and as she says, 'quietly in keeping'.

But if you want yet more suggestions, I think this one's also nice http://www.getethical.com/products/16747/SturdySilverOutdoorLight

Ealingkate Tue 02-Aug-11 17:04:03

I has bought from this site before - and seen their lights in Heal's and Habitat here are all their outside lights

LadyPeterWimsey Tue 02-Aug-11 17:11:06

GrendelsMum: I like that one (I always prefer silver) but I don't think the silver would go with her brass letterbox.

minipie Tue 02-Aug-11 17:28:44

you might like this one

it is £50 though...

Ealingkate Tue 02-Aug-11 18:28:48

Here's a brass one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now