Talk

Advanced search

Boat varnish for wooden worksurface, behind taps...good idea?

(11 Posts)
linspins Tue 02-Aug-11 12:35:10

Newly installed kitchen, with lovely oak worktops. But small patch behind the taps is already getting 'soggy' despite the frequent danish oiling. I wondered about the possibility of varnishing this little area with boat varnish, therefore making it totally waterproof. Would this be a good idea? Any other ideas?

said Tue 02-Aug-11 13:07:08

I don't see why not. Will watch as also have newly installed oak...

noddyholder Tue 02-Aug-11 13:14:33

It will look glossier and darker than the rest but it will be waterproof! Make sure it is bone dry before you varnish it though or it will flake later

BettyBathroom Tue 02-Aug-11 13:15:35

I wonder what will happen between the joins between the vanised and oiled surface -I'd seek out better quality oil - didn't someone on here suggest an oil which was far superior in that it seals more effectively than the stuff Ikea recommends.

linspins Tue 02-Aug-11 13:27:09

Hmm, Betty I wonder what it was? Danish oil is the only thing I've heard of but maybe someone else can help. I thought I'd just feather the boat varnish gently out to disguise the 'join'. Only guessing what it might look like.

Not sure how to source half a jam jar of boat oil, rather than gallons though! Freecycle maybe?

noddyholder Tue 02-Aug-11 13:29:07

osmo polyx oil is brilliant I have oak in my kitchen and no black at all around the sink

linspins Tue 02-Aug-11 13:32:40

Thanks Noddyholder. Does that oil colour the oak at all or is it clear? Does it make it shiny or matt? Thanks.

teta Tue 02-Aug-11 14:38:55

I use Liberon Finish and Seal on top of danish oiled worktops.Seems to be heat,water and stain-resistant.You will need to sand and oil the worktop first though as this finish doesn't give you the warm rich colour that danish oil does.

noddyholder Tue 02-Aug-11 14:53:29

It is clear and matt Has a slight sheen but very minimal. Lovely stuff to work with too.

moomaa Tue 02-Aug-11 14:56:03

Noooooo don't do it. Oiling with the right stuff should do the job. You will be able to see the join between the two finishes and any oil that you accidently get on the varnished bit will never dry properly leaving a sticky patch.

Mammonite Tue 02-Aug-11 18:13:20

I back up Noddyholder. Osmo the whole thing, it will protect the rest of the worktop against water/tea/coffee/wine too. Two thin coats. Then throw away safely dispose of your Danish Oil.

IME you can buff up Osmo to a bit of a sheen, I have used it on pine to this effect, it develops over time.

link

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now