Talk

Advanced search

Help me paint my brand new house

(12 Posts)
outinthesticksmummy Mon 01-Aug-11 20:21:45

Help !!

We are entering the exciting bit of our self build !! ......choosing paint colours. We have engineered oak flooring down stairs , with big skirting boards , no coving. The house is a Georgian style , so lots of high celings. We are going for a very contempary look , with white ceilings. Talked husband out of stark white all over ....due to having 3 kids under 6 !! Kitchen is high gloss cream with dark wood tops ....big open plan kitchen/family room.

Need paint colours by ..........NEXT WEEK ???!?!?? according to builder

Any suggestions

outinthesticksmummy Mon 01-Aug-11 21:11:56

Thinking just going for a creamy colour throughout downsatirs ???

LemonDifficult Mon 01-Aug-11 21:17:18

How exciting.

So where to start? How many rooms? What's the hall/corridor/stair colour?

And do you want Colour colour or just some shading? And you can get some pretty family-life proof white paints if you did want white.

outinthesticksmummy Mon 01-Aug-11 22:15:58

where to start indeed

Downstairs we got formal lounge , formal dining room , study , utility , downstairs loo , then massive focal point kitchen/family room. Hall way has large oak stair case, with carpet runner.

I think shading ....colour will come in time , when we work out what each rooms about. I really don't want white ....find it too clinical.

Dining room , going to have a focal wallpaper wall , and prob same for our bedroom , but everything else needs paint. everywhere !!

upstair , got 3 girlie rooms - going to do them various shades of pink.

Oak floor will run throughout ......apart from kitchen /family room., where its a large pale porcelain tile. Am wondering about a very pale duck egg blu/green as a contarst to cream units.

Need someone to make the decisions for us I think !!

teta Mon 01-Aug-11 22:57:52

I have 4 dc's and have matched up F&B colours [as i really love them] with Dulux Diamond trade emulsion.This is meant to be the toughest and most wipeable paint arround.F&b have some lovely blues and greens that you can have colour matched at a trade paint centre [have used teresas green and green blue in my kitchen and utility].Really good neutral colours are Strong White,Skimming Stone and a beigy/grey Elephants Breath for walls [and pointing].Would you not paint a hall a more statement colour?.I do know what you mean about white though 'but under the right lighting it can look stunning [apart from pbw which i dislike because of the bluey undertones].

kbaby Thu 04-Aug-11 18:14:14

We have cream kitchen cupboards and a cherry workbook, we've painted the walls cream but we have one wall painted duckegg, ive then got duckegg accessories etc. The colour goes well with the units

RachelHRD Thu 04-Aug-11 20:41:10

We have just moved into our brand new off plan house and had it painted throughout in Dulux Ivory Palace (trade paint I think) and it looks fab!

mamijacacalys Thu 04-Aug-11 22:48:20

F&B Tunsgate green would look good with the oak flooring - am thinking about it for our sitting room.
F&B Pale powder is a good duck egg shade and looks good with our oak flooring.

queenmaeve Sat 06-Aug-11 09:50:23

Tbh I wouldnt stress too much or do anything too dramatic. I think you really need to be living in a house for a while to really get the feel of it and know exactly what you want. We moved in 2 years ago to our self build. I had downstairs all the one colour and the dc bedrooms done differently. Also you will for certain get settling cracks in the first year, which will need corrected and painted over again. 2 years later and I have almost everyroom repainted again.

befuzzled Sat 06-Aug-11 20:32:41

sorry to butt in - quick question for you self-builders - how/where did you find you land? (looking)

outinthesticksmummy Sun 07-Aug-11 20:21:30

hiya

Befuzzled ...ours was a family plot , so we were very fortunate !

Love the F & B colours ...but looks like our builder can buy dulux in bulk and at v good money - so thats the way we're going. Am considering similar to the tunsgate green for the kitchen x.

Nice creamy colour throughout , grey in dining room and study, and am debating the whole pink /purple vibe for 3 x girls rooms ???

HansieMom Tue 09-Aug-11 21:48:19

My son had a townhouse and he chose a tan color for the walls with all woodwork white. It was beautiful, 100x better than just plain white. Very crisp and sharp looking.

It was a 'non color', so many colors could be used with it.

I like a paint with some gloss to it. Most homes where we live have flat paint. Not my cup of tea.

We bought a house 4 years ago, and one we saw had an olive green kitchen, with tall walls. It was so beautiful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now