Talk

Advanced search

Need to replace a built-in double gas oven - advice please

(6 Posts)
rubyhorse Mon 01-Aug-11 12:10:30

Hello - I have a built-in double gas oven which has broken, and as it's a relic from the ark cannot be repaired.

I now have to think about replacing it, and don't have a clue where to start. Things I'm wondering about...

- Where is good, and how do I go about getting advice about removal / fitting?

- Could I replace it with an electric oven if I wanted to?

- I don't really use the two ovens - could I replace it with a single oven and slot a microwave into the space above (or do those sizings not generally work?

- Anything else I need to be thinking of?

Thanks!

rubyhorse Mon 01-Aug-11 20:51:05

Bump.

GnomeDePlume Mon 01-Aug-11 23:22:38

Some thoughts:

If you replace the gas cooker with an electric one then you will need power for oven and hob. This will require an electrician. What will need to be done will depend on how good your electrics are.

DH (an electrician) reckons that he would do a full kitchen rewire for between £500-£750.

You will need a gas fitter (Gas Safe Registered - Corgi as was) to disconnect the cooker. If there is a simple tap then this should cost the call out charge and no more. If you are replacing the gas oven with an electric one then it is worth capping off the gas as far back as you can.

The answer is that anything is possible.

Do things in the right order. Sort out electrics, gas & wet plumbing first. After that you can have the kitchen you want!

rubyhorse Mon 01-Aug-11 23:33:07

Thank you! That's really helpful. Power / supplies were already something I was thinking of, so that's clarified stuff for me. I really don't want to re-do the kitchen - just replace the cooker - so whatever will allow me to do that, really.

GnomeDePlume Mon 01-Aug-11 23:48:56

Do you want an electric hob or just an electric oven? If you just want an electric oven then a lot (though depends on model) can just be plugged into a normal 13 amp socket. An electric hob needs more power and therefore a dedicated circuit. Do you know if there is a convenient socket?

The simplest thing would be to disconnect the current oven and buy a new one as a direct replacement (like for like). This is normally the cheapest way of doing things.

rubyhorse Tue 02-Aug-11 12:37:59

Just an oven. Probably like-for-like will be the best way to go...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now