Talk

Advanced search

What colours go with charcoal grey please?

(16 Posts)
trinni Sun 31-Jul-11 22:15:18

I have just one week (next week) DD is away and I want to decorate her bedroom.

She insists on one feature wall in graphite and the rest in a pale neutral off white sort of thing. It's Ok with me but not very feminine IMO. She will not hear of pink in any shade but doesn't mind purple - I don't like purple myself.

Any ideas to make it a bit girly? I was thinking silver mirror, lamp and a nice large deep pile rug but where's the colour? Help!

CristinaTheAstonishing Sun 31-Jul-11 22:16:36

A strong light blue or orange?

rubyrubyruby Sun 31-Jul-11 22:18:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsTittleMouse Sun 31-Jul-11 22:22:20

A strong bright jewel colour, I reckon. Like orange or teal or a cerise or even purple. smile

BehindLockNumberNine Sun 31-Jul-11 22:23:56

A nice turquoise? A sky blue? A soft green or a bright fresh leaf green? Or orange?

trinni Sun 31-Jul-11 22:24:01

I think orange would look very, very nice - I'd never have thought of that....but how to incorporate it? Honestly, I'm OK up to a point but the final flourishes are NOT my strong point!

Ruby - yes teal is lovely but ds has it in his room, along with a graphite feature wall (which is why dd likes it).

Please inspire me!

GrendelsMum Sun 31-Jul-11 22:25:18

Does she want it girly, though? I still remember going away on holiday and my mum kindly painting my minimalist white room a pale pink, 'to warm it up a bit'. I never had the heart to say I hated the colour sad

How about yellow, grey and teal - there are some ideas here: http://www.designsponge.com/2008/07/inspiration-yellow-and-grey.html

trinni Sun 31-Jul-11 22:29:19

No, no she isn't girly and what I really meant was do distinguish between a boy's/girl's room.

If I painted her room pink - I'd be a gonner - she's almost 13!

I'll have a look at the link, thanks

tethersend Sun 31-Jul-11 22:32:33

Why must it be girly/feminine at all?

Have a look at some images for inspiration:

Here

Here

Here

Here

trinni Sun 31-Jul-11 22:50:03

It's definitely a burnt orange, I've made up my mind and it will look lovely.

Neutral, graphite, some silver bits and and orange.

I won't be able to sleep now with the ideas popping into my head!

Thank you all so much! x

nakedandangry Sun 31-Jul-11 22:52:43

Charlotte Locks by FandB that's your chap. It's beautiful.

trinni Sun 31-Jul-11 22:55:01

Charlotte Locks is absolutely gorgeous! Perfect!

CointreauVersial Sun 31-Jul-11 23:02:38

Our bathroom is graphite and white, and for our towels/accent colour we chose celadon, which is a pale greeny teal. Looks lovely (though I say it myself)!

ninah Sun 31-Jul-11 23:04:57

I'd give her what she's asked for, with maybe the rug in orange if you insist
she obviously has a strong sense of her own style

hester Sun 31-Jul-11 23:06:57

Burnt orange lovely. A warm buttery yellow would also look good. Or lime green. Or olive.

trinni Sun 31-Jul-11 23:37:13

She does have her very own sense of style which is why I'd like to add a few orange touches that can be removed if she hates it...

I very much doubt she will though.

hester, I did consider lime or some other green shade. Seems it's far easier to accessorise in green rather than orange.

An olive colour would look lovely too <wavering>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now