Talk

Advanced search

Alternatives to voiles/net curtains

(14 Posts)
GettinTrimmer Sat 30-Jul-11 20:07:47

We moved two weeks ago, 1960s house with big window from ceiling to floor in front room. The net curtain there is a knobbly thing, already the cat has savaged it and dd pulled it down a couple of times.

Other people in our cul-de-sac have office-type hanging blinds, but they don't look very homely imo. Does anyone have any suggestions?

visavis Sat 30-Jul-11 20:27:35

Shutters (but v expensive) voile fabric blinds?

Pannacotta Sat 30-Jul-11 20:57:06

SHutters, wooden venetians or voile panels.

ilovepizza Sat 30-Jul-11 22:11:00

Ikea panels?

echt Sun 31-Jul-11 00:32:27

The office-type ones are vile. I say this feelingly having had them in every rental I've had in Oz, and they're here in the house I've bought, in the bedrooms, too. Argh!

Are you overlooked, can everyone see into your living room?

I'm going for blackout roller blinds in the bedrooms, with filmy curtains to soften them.

Blackout roman blinds everywhere else.

feckwit Sun 31-Jul-11 00:33:35

we have wooden venetians and they work well x

Monty27 Sun 31-Jul-11 00:34:37

Want shutters, can't afford them sad

echt Sun 31-Jul-11 00:38:43

A question about wooden venetians, feckwit splendid name, by the way.

How are they for heat insulation? I have 30 feet of massive windows in one room of my house, and in the cold Melbourne winters, keeping the heat in is important. That's why I was thinking of blackout as they insulate pretty well.

piprabbit Sun 31-Jul-11 01:16:13

We have a sheer roller blind in the study (to filter light so we don't get screen reflections). It's more modern than a curtain, but not as industrial as vertical blinds.

I think we used Web Blinds - I remember ordering loads of free samples grin.

brighthair Sun 31-Jul-11 06:48:38

I have ikea voile panels and they are fab

GettinTrimmer Sun 31-Jul-11 18:47:12

Thanks all for suggestions.

echt only the neighbours/postman/delivery people/visitors would have occasion to come down the cul-de-sac, it's been suggested don't bother with anything at all, but would prefer to have something.

just off to look at the ikea website

Lcy Sun 31-Jul-11 19:03:09

I am getting thermal roller blinds www.tuiss.co.uk/energy-saving-roller-blinds/3520/arissa-ice.htm

We have 3 meter floor to ceiling doors and have chosen these so they are hidden in the alcove most of the time but so we can pull them if it is very sunny and to keep the room a bit warmer in the winter without the need for curtains. They do samples.

ViolaTricolor Mon 01-Aug-11 12:45:15

We've got white sheer rolller blinds as a subsitute for nets and they look fab, but not sure it would be practical for a floor-to-ceiling windown and if you DD pulled a curtain down she could probably do worse things to a blind.

LemonDifficult Mon 01-Aug-11 15:37:52

If it's for privacy then consider not going for curtains but instead putting things in the window that 'hold' people's gaze and stop them looking in. i.e a table with a good sized houseplant and a lamp.

I have seen this really effectively done with bigish ornaments that hold people's interest - a ship, or in a flat window near our old house someone had put a pottery face with a huge grin looking out: passers by would look at that and not beyond into the room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now