Talk

Advanced search

Please help re boundaries

(11 Posts)
AlwaysHere Sat 30-Jul-11 17:37:06

I own the fence on my right hand (if i stand on the road facing the house).
My house is end of terrace (on the right side). Between my parking space and next door's parking space there is a small wall (falling down). Who is responsible for this?

ChristinedePizan Sat 30-Jul-11 18:08:31

Generally, you own one side of the boundary. Have you checked your deeds? My boundaries are all marked on mine.

In an old house I used to live in though (pre-1900) they weren't marked so we split the cost of repairing the wall.

That was 62m high and it cost about £600 to rebuild a 4m stretch so a low wall should be quite cheap

AlwaysHere Sat 30-Jul-11 19:05:41

It is not at the back garden but in front, between our front patio/parking space.
It is on the same side as the fence that i own (which is at the back garden)

ChristinedePizan Sat 30-Jul-11 20:02:17

Oh sorry, thought you meant it was on the other side. In that case it's yours I suspect. All the boundary down one side of the house - front and back - belongs to me here. That's the norm.

ChristinedePizan Sat 30-Jul-11 20:02:59

Unless of course it's a later addition and not marked ... Have you spoken to the neighbours about sharing the cost?

AlwaysHere Sat 30-Jul-11 22:49:29

Thank you ChristinedePizan. Thats what i thought too.
We are not in speaking terms with the neighbours and they are not the most reasonable people.

madrush Sat 30-Jul-11 22:57:24

probably yours I'd guess, but look carefully at the line it's built on - is it on your side of boundary or theirs?

AlwaysHere Sat 30-Jul-11 23:03:16

Hmm i looked and it seems like it is on both (but mostly on their side i think)

madrush Sat 30-Jul-11 23:14:51

Depends on quality of original builder, but whenever we've had boundaries done, the builder's normally very careful to make sure the wall/fence posts are on our side if we've built it.

I'd guess their side had the wall built originally, but that doesn't mean they're prepared to fund fixing it.

AlwaysHere Sat 30-Jul-11 23:21:20

Thank you again. Oh well i hope thats the case, at least i dont have to.

madrush Sat 30-Jul-11 23:30:32

As far as I know nobody has to repair/provide a boundary marker anyway. The owner would be liable if it was unsafe and caused injury to somebody but whether or not you have something marking your boundary is up to you (unless you keep a dog which should be kept within your own land by fencing etc).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now