Advanced search

Checking the Eletrics

(12 Posts)
TheHumanCatapult Sat 30-Jul-11 10:58:26

I rent a property and yes am aware it is really down to the LL.But he is bit of a ducker and diver to say theleast

When imoved in no paperwork other than contract was given there are no smoke alarms bar what i installed .

Butmy concern is the Electrics prioto moving in am aware there was a flood whic affectedthe bathroom and bedroom and hallway.

But the power is always tripping of and we have to reset it .Bulbs in kitchen and bathroom blow within day or so of being put in bathroom has 4 only one works, same for the kitchen and they ar enot cheap are halogen bulbs .Think bathroom is down to where the suspended ceiling camedown ( thats still not fixed 18 months after I moved in ) as the light fittings are all rusty and water damaged

Tings short circuit a lot as well and we blow lot of plug fuses .Couple of plug sockets do not work at all some being one of a double as the switches are stuck mid way

Am thinking about getting someone in to look at the Eletrics .What is best way of finding someone had a ball mark price

pepperrabbit Sat 30-Jul-11 11:22:50

I think the first thing I would do is tell your landlord that you need to get the electrics checked - sounds very dangerous to me and I'm no electrician.
Tell him that you will be sending him the bill. That should get a response.
If he refuses I'd ask the CAB what your rights are & needs to happen - if it's very dangerous an electrician may say you can't live there till it's fixed. Also if the place needs re-wiring you might have to move out anyway as that's a major disruption.
Have you checked the small print of your contract - should say who is responsible for what.
Good luck.

TheHumanCatapult Sat 30-Jul-11 11:49:25

Thank you

Have informed the LL several times about that and the other issues in the house .Most i have given up on and put up with .Like the bathroom ceiling/and the ensuite shower not being connected he found this 3 months ago when he was here despite me emailing him lots and he said it works then looked and no it did not and he found never connected .And i put up with a sknow how hard is to find Ll take Hb and as it goes being bunglaow is almost perfect for me( am in a wheelchair)

but the Eletrics are starting to worry me and your spot on it has occured to me in fac they may well be dangerours

hence knowing that he ask a mate and not one that is neccessarly fully qualified or be someone willing to fudge it am thinking about my own person and then figure he may well have to listern to me but no idea how best to get it done

he brought the land for breakdown yardbut house came with .

Tried to sell then had some of his drivers in it but that failed then tried to let it out for lot more than he gets from me .in the end no one would let so he ended up agreeing to take me and Hb .Agent did the introductions and referance checking but he manges it well he colelcts his rent each month that is as far as it goes

pepperrabbit Sat 30-Jul-11 12:19:00

If he found you through an agent, can you contact that agent, just to ask for advice.
Also as a landlord there are specific safety checks he should have done on the electrics and gas etc not to mention appliances.
Have you got your own insurance for contents? Sounds like he won't hve any insurance on the property - and also it's likely to be invalid if he has let it out in an unfit state.
Can you say that you will deduct the cost of a qualified electrician from your rent next month - so you are happy for him to choose an electrician but they have to be qualified.
Sounds like it's un-letable to anyone else so he needs to keep you safe & happy if he wants your cash!

TheHumanCatapult Sat 30-Jul-11 13:05:04

Thank you .

I have tried agent and they confirmed that they had no paperwork etc on property No gas to it just eletric and Oil heating but well less said about boiler the better .
.There job was to advertise find tennant and do the contract.

Yes i have contents insurance for my stuff .Have phoned someone up to ask and he said it needs checking especially as there was water damage to it .Am going to get someone in next week when back from holiday and if he confirms what I think will prsent Ll with writen evidence

Gonzo33 Sat 30-Jul-11 14:36:30

Make sure you get 2 reports, so that you get to keep a copy too. If sending in the post post the letter Special delivery so that it is signed for and you can prove he signed for it.

Ensure you send a letter clearly stating what you would like to happen and a time scale. If the landlord does not do the work I(assuming it is a hazard to your health and safety) complain to your local council or environmental health department. They should be able to help you further.

notcitrus Sat 30-Jul-11 15:12:12

Phone the council's environmental health dept if the landlord refuses to sort it in the next week. They are very used to writing letters to scare landlords, and will come out and point problems out to them.

(have been on both tenant and LL side of this - LL when a bonkers ex-tenant tried complaining about all sorts of stuff and all they could say was the extractor fan looked insufficient if there was still moisture in the shower at the end of their visit - I pointed out the tenant liked four-hour showers and there was no extractor fan that could cope with that, and they agreed it was OK)

TheHumanCatapult Sat 30-Jul-11 15:15:34

sobs seems toebe problem with drainage now as power cut out loo stoped working ( we have the chew them up toilets no power no work) so flipped trip switch as normal and nope one is not working sound slike pump gone ( they go a lot you think he want to fit eletrics as sure it burns them out)

One working one not and a loo full of wee/poo and called LL to find he is out country ( had to call one of his garages ) apparenty will try get someone to come look Monday but will probaly fix when he is back ( he is a plumber alllergedley amongst many things ) 3 weeks with a toilet fille dof piss and shit angry

TheHumanCatapult Sat 30-Jul-11 15:19:09

trouble is im on rolling contract now so he can pretty much boot me out .Though be fun to watchhim try to rent the place out without fixing it all .I have tolerate dlot more than I should as desperate for roof

pepperrabbit Sat 30-Jul-11 15:39:16

I don't think he can leave you without a toilet! - or electricity.
Environmental health will come down on him like a ton of bricks.
You need to let him know that if you do not have an emergency plumber/electrician out today, you will be telling the council, and you'll be billing him.
If you go through the council send someone they'll invoice him as owner i presume?

TheHumanCatapult Sat 30-Jul-11 20:13:10

we have eletric but it just cuts out regulary and blows fuses/bulbs eltrcial items even my youngest knows you need to go flick the switch in fuse box .

Have spoken to coucil emergency and checked as we have one working toilet out of 3 !! it is not classed as emergency so if i call plumber or they send one i am liable for the bill .

Im on count down and hoping council come up with a adapted house very soon have had enough now and will quite gladly leave .

On postive side Eltrecian is coming out when back from Holiday and he does suspect house will need rewiring

TheHumanCatapult Sat 30-Jul-11 20:14:12

Ds3 also mutters that teh bloody power gone again blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: