Talk

Advanced search

Vendors taking all curtain poles!

(21 Posts)
JumpJockey Thu 28-Jul-11 14:26:45

how the eff are we meant to get two small kids to sleep in a house where we can't put up curtains? I posted last week about them taking the curtains, fair enough, was just round there measuring up and thought Hmmm best double check this. What on earth are you meant to do?

TooManyBlossoms Thu 28-Jul-11 14:28:14

Erm put up curtain poles of your own?

LoveInAColdChamberOfSecrets Thu 28-Jul-11 14:30:22

That's pretty normal TBH. Buy some of those stick up black out blinds until you put up your own poles?

LIZS Thu 28-Jul-11 14:30:29

Can't you buy some for the bedrooms as a start, they aren't expensive in Wilkos etc and easily fitted or use double sided tape(like for carpets) or velcro with a sheet overnight. We had planned to take the curtains in old house but in the end left some of them.

Hevian Thu 28-Jul-11 14:39:53

How pathetic of them. It must surely have made a mess on the walls where they've removed them. I think it leaves a bad taste when people are so petty about things like that.

Bet they didn't leave any loo roll in the toilet either.

JumpJockey Thu 28-Jul-11 14:40:35

Liz/chamber thanks for your helpful suggestions, i was obviously expecting to out up curtain poles at some point hmm but was more thinking about the first night for a toddler and a baby in a new house which is going to be hard enough, we didn't anticipate that part of the unpacking procedure would involve drilling holes in the wall to install a basic fixture.
Maybe we' the weirdos for leaving most of the curtains behind on the grounds that they won't fit the place we're going to so what's the point in causing extra difficulty for our buyers.

PenelopePitstops Thu 28-Jul-11 15:12:23

JumpJockey you asked what to do and were given advice, you can't demand them back, and you'd have to put old ones back up anyway!

if you have any large cardboad boxes that you have unpacked you could fold them out to cover the window.

Sidge Thu 28-Jul-11 15:15:54

We're selling our house and I plan to take a few of the curtain poles with us - they are quite unique and were hard to find when I bought them and I love them so plan to use them in our new place.

TBH the new owners curtain dilemmas aren't my problem really. Harsh but true.

Can you use masking tape to stick towels over the windows for the first night? Or ask the vendors if you can get in to the property before completion to put a pole up in the childrens' rooms?

JumpJockey Thu 28-Jul-11 15:16:03

Penelope, I said thank you to the two people who gave helpful advice, what more do you want? The face was in response to toomanyblossoms. We haven't moved to the house yet, as i said i was there today measuring up and only discovered by chance that they were taking the old poles away, otherwise we'd have arrived expecting to be able to hang curtains and get kids a dark room.

aliceliddell Thu 28-Jul-11 15:19:16

Ours took all the sodding skirting boards confused

midnightexpress Thu 28-Jul-11 15:21:56

Is that allowed Aliceliddell? shock

I can understand curtain poles if they are expensive ones - we had hand-made (not for us originally!) wrought iron ones in our old flat and I kind of wish we'd brought them with us to this place when we moved.

Agree with stick up blackouts - you can get them in Mothercare.

fizzyelderflower Thu 28-Jul-11 15:41:25

Have you had a fixtures and fittings list? Are the curtain poles on them?

Curtains/blinds etc have been mentioned on all of ours so I have known what's included (last house they took everything and changed the lovely shiney, chromes light fittings for horrible plastic ones!)

Carboard boxes/stick up blinds seem the best way forward tbh.

DaisySteiner Thu 28-Jul-11 18:04:50

Aren't they supposed to make good any holes that removing the curtain poles leave behind ie fill and paint them? Might be worth communicating this to them via your solicitor and they might leave them to save themselves the bother.

MovingAndScared Thu 28-Jul-11 19:43:48

Yes I would 2nd that you will expect them to be made good -my vendors want me to pay for the curtain poles I refused and strangly when I pointed out about them needing to be made good they changed their mind!! of course if they are "special" one then I understand it - and actually I didn't go the whole blackout thing when we moved and the DCs were fine

JarethTheGoblinKing Thu 28-Jul-11 19:47:21

Tape foil to the windows with masking tape, acts like a black out blind

StopRainingPlease Thu 28-Jul-11 19:49:36

We just pinned up old sheets till we got curtains sorted. They were there months blush.

visavis Thu 28-Jul-11 20:14:20

In the house we have just bought all curtains and curtain poles were taken - leaving big holes in the wall shock. All lights were taken leaving wires in some cases - a bit of a mess tbh. A good job we are not moving in immediately as it is frankly not habitable.

OP - I suggest that you use a taped sheet/curtain or something similar until you get yourself sorted out.

TheOriginalFAB Thu 28-Jul-11 20:29:20

Did you not read the fixtures and fittings list?

Ciske Thu 28-Jul-11 20:37:17

When we moved out of our house, I went to every lamp on every ceiling and removed the lightbulbs. Buyers had milked us enough during the house buying process, they weren't going to get anything more from us. They were expensive light saving bulbs, not sure if that makes it any better though. grin

lalalonglegs Thu 28-Jul-11 20:49:14

Are you buying Becaroo's house? Here

JumpJockey Thu 28-Jul-11 21:15:48

F&f mentions curtains, nothing about curtain poles, it was only by chance that vendor was in when i went with agent to measure up today and was able to ask her. They look pretty much like ikea ones rather than specially made iron ones. No, we're not buying becaroo's place hmm vendors have been utterly rubbish about so many things, we're not making excessive demands, just wanting eg. the non-functioning lock in the back door to be mended before we come in... Don't think that's out of order really.

Thanks all for advice, will take lots and lots of tape and see what we can fashion. Though at the rate things are moving by the time we get in it will be winter and sunset will be at 5pm anyway hmm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: