Talk

Advanced search

Really need help regarding renting refs

(5 Posts)
ellaeleven Tue 26-Jul-11 19:38:46

We need to find a home to rent in next month or so. My partner works full time and I am a sahm with baby. I know agencies do thorough reference checks which is no problem for him but will they want to check me if the rent is coming from his salary? I have had very little go into my bank account while I have been a sahm and my credit history isnt great as I had to go into a debt management plan when I stupidly messed up with repayments on a credit card. Partner has perfect credit history and our landlord of the last four years will provide an excellent reference. Will they need to check me because I am an adult who will be living in their property and will therefore need to sign the contract?
Can anyone advise? Really worried we wont be accepted by anyone because I'm not working at mo and I was stupid with money in the pastsad

allthefires Tue 26-Jul-11 19:45:10

Yes they will check you.

Do you have any county court judgementa or defaults- if so yes this will make credit check difficult but not impossible.

ellaeleven Tue 26-Jul-11 19:57:21

Yes I defaulted. I didnt miss a single month of paying although it was less than what I was supposed to pay and when I entered into a dmp they issued a default as a 'formality' in their words. We are doomed aren't we?!

allthefires Tue 26-Jul-11 20:53:41

No necessarily. Can someone be a guarantor. Can your partners wage comfortably cover rent? Have a chat with letting agent. No all are sharks.

ellaeleven Tue 26-Jul-11 21:16:57

Thank you for helping. The letting agents we have come across so far in the last few weeks seem to give us the juniors who look like they have just left school. Dont know if they would be very compassionate about my situation and would probably just pass us over for a couple with two excellent credit records. Will try and have a chat with them though. I'm so annoyed with myself for making mistakes in the past that will now compromise our living situation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now