Talk

Advanced search

Which hire van for moving?

(1 Post)
greentown Mon 25-Jul-11 10:40:15

We're hoping to be on the move in the next couple of months (fingers crossed) and will be doing it ourselves - it's the money and we just don't like the way other people treat our stuff.
Have used movers before and also moved with multiple trips in a Volvo 940 estate and a Ford Fiesta.
This is the first time we'll have hired a proper van and we're perplexed over the best choice.
We've probably only got the furniture of a 1 bed flat, all white goods, 2 sofas, 1 dbl bed, 2 tvs, couple of chests of drawers, table and chairs, clothes, fair bit of gardening equipment and loads of books (35-40 boxes - size 18" x 13" x13" each).
I know movers have fitted everything in a Luton (box shape van) before (we had less books then and 1 less sofa but it seemed like they had lots of space).
We could hire a Luton, maybe with a tail-lift, but they're more expensive than normal vans and I'm not sure the access height is very practical even with a lift - the platform is about chest height so we'd be up and down all day! All right for a few fit lads but not for partner and me perhaps - we're no spring chickens anymore.
I'm hoping we could fit it all in a lwb transit type van (they have side and back doors and you can step up and down out of them) - I don't think either of us would be be too happy driving what they call 'extra lwb' vans (might not fit it on our drive either - probably overhang the pavement) and not sure if a normal transit would be big enough.
Have you moved yourself and what size/type van did you hire? Did you fit everything in and how did it go?
We'll only be doing one big trip but will hire the van for a few days and fill it/unload it gradually.
Thoughts and tips welcome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now