Talk

Advanced search

URGENT RENTING QUESTION...

(11 Posts)
Becaroooo Sun 24-Jul-11 16:26:54

...just seen a great possibilty for us available from next week but on the details it says

"Register your interest"

Cant I just ring up, say I want it and organise refs???

Help!!!

BooBooGlass Sun 24-Jul-11 16:30:15

Available as in you could move in? or available to look at from next week? The thing to do is call first thing tomorrow and arrange the earliest possible viewing time. Take everything with you, ID, bank statements, anything you can think of (in fact ask on the phone what they require for their references and what their fee is.) Once they have your application fee they legally can't take one from anyone else. Good luck. Fwiw, it would be very unusual to accept a place without a viewing. When I worked in lettings we wouldn't allow people to put down an application fee without first having seen the property.

Becaroooo Sun 24-Jul-11 16:37:26

Thanks boo There is so little in this village for rent sad

Will phone at 9am tomorrow (its only just gone on rightmove this weekend)

Will the fact its being rented through the EA that is selling our house a good thing do you think???

They know us and our situation very well

BooBooGlass Sun 24-Jul-11 16:39:29

You never know. Often the renting and buying departments are completely sepreate though. It would be nice of them to waive their reference fee but tbh the mark up they make on it is ridiculous (think a £150 charge for a service that costs them £22 shock) so I wouldn't bet on it. It's even worth calling now and leaving a message- we went through our messages as priority first thing, they should get back to you asap.

Becaroooo Sun 24-Jul-11 16:41:52

Hmmm....they arent super quick at getting back to me!

Its perfect. Perfect.

I want it.

Oh Boo Please tell me what I have to do to get it!!!
<<no pressure!>>

NormaStanleyFletcher Sun 24-Jul-11 16:41:56

Good luck Becarrooo - hope it turns out to be nice and yours! I agree - phone and leave message

BooBooGlass Sun 24-Jul-11 16:44:25

If you're about when it opens, be there at opening time, with all your paperwork. Insist on a viewing asap, and ask very very nicely to be the first to view. Just be nice to them I guess. Personality does come into it. If we liked someone, we were far more likely to recommend them to the landlord, who ultimately has the last say on the tenant, though a clean reference check is enough for most landlords to say yes. Be grovelling, and leave a very clear message NOW with your name and phone number, stating your intention to be at the office tomorrow.

Becaroooo Sun 24-Jul-11 16:45:46

Oh boo you are so helpful!
<<weeps with gratitude>>
Ok, so to reiterate, what do I need paperwork wise???
I will be there at their door at 9am!!!

BooBooGlass Sun 24-Jul-11 16:47:56

At least 3 months of bank statements, something with your employment details, so payslips or a contract. Phone bills or utility bills. And a form of photo ID. If you're planning on renting with a partner then they need to be there with all paperwork too. You won't actually need it til AFTER you've viewed the property, but it'll be appreciated and show you're serious. Don't be put off if you can't view immediately. If there are still tenants they have to be given reasonable notice of viewings so it could be a couple of days.

Becaroooo Sun 24-Jul-11 16:52:19

Ah sad dh cant come tomorrow, however, they have our photo ID and copy utility bills already (from the house purchase)

Will be there at 9am tomorrow.

Dh could go in with me Tuesday afternoon though!

Becaroooo Tue 26-Jul-11 19:01:00

Thought I would update you!

Went in yesterday at 9am as you suggested...they had just had the keys for the property and the letting lady was going to view it/check it today at 2.30pm. They have other viewings later this week/weekend and so I begged her to let us view it first so we went at 3pm today and, long story short, have applied to rent it!

Should find out tomorrow......thanks for the advice x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now