Talk

Advanced search

Renting advice please.......

(9 Posts)
Becaroooo Sat 23-Jul-11 14:25:30

I wont bore you with my house buying woes but, in short, we have a no chain cash buyer we dont want to lose (who is a wanker of the highest order angry) who now wants to complete on 12th august (we were supposed to be moving on friday!).

We need to move to a small village where there are few houses on the market atm and even fewer rental properties (they snapped up really quickly!)

So dh and I are looking at renting for 6 months, poss longer.

There is a 3 bed det that would be ok for a few months and the rent is reasonable.

Questions;
What do you do about house and contents ins?? Is that covered in your rent?
Do you get your dep back after you give notice?
What are the worst things about renting??
What are the best??

We are hoping that next year there will be more properties on the market and we will be in a good position to make offers (ie: no chain, deposit and mortage agreed)

Help!

LIZS Sat 23-Jul-11 14:32:36

House insurance should be included and landlord's contents (ie white goods, carpets etc) but your possessions and furniture are usually your own responsibility. Deposit is repayable within a fixed period of moving out (should be held in a registered deposit scheme)

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 23-Jul-11 14:34:05

Buildings insurance is down to your landlord, contents to you. Your deposit will be returned after you move out. The worst thing about renting is lack of security, the best (if you have a good landlord) that repairs are the ll's responsibilty. (I have an excellent ll)

Becaroooo Sat 23-Jul-11 14:36:06

Oh thats interesting LIZS
So we would have to arrange ins for our belongings?
The deposit is a months rent and I guess we get it back as long as the house is left in good condition?
Do you know how quickly a rental agreement can be sorted...we are a bit up against it timewise sad

hksi Sat 23-Jul-11 14:36:32

No info but sorry to hear your situation Bec. Have you lost the house you were moving into next week? Might beat you into our forever home after all wink lol

LIZS Sat 23-Jul-11 14:38:45

Standard AST should n't take long at all through an agent but they may need to take references.

Becaroooo Sat 23-Jul-11 14:38:49

Our buyer has decided to go on holiday (!!!) and now wont complete til 12th but our offer was accepted on condition we moved on 29th.

In some ways it may be best in the long run.....<<desperately looking for a bright side!!>>

hksi Sat 23-Jul-11 16:15:22

I'm sure the people you are buying from will wait 2 weeks?? Have they said they are pulling out now? Very short sighted if they are!!! I'm sure they will see sense and you'll be able to move into your own home on 12th smile

nocake Sat 23-Jul-11 21:08:18

Best thing about renting - it's someone else's responsibility if there's a problem with the house.
Worst thing about renting - waiting for the landlord to fix something... normally the heating!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now