Talk

Advanced search

Advice from the stylish please on how best to cover the seats of a set of these Gplan chairs?

(10 Posts)
mrszimmerman Fri 22-Jul-11 16:47:29

They're being lovingly sanded and polished as we speak by an uncle. But now have velvetty brown fabric on the seats.
How can you stylishly cover them and with what sort of fabric?
Is vinyl Always Wrong?
What kind of fabric will resist the horrors of children's fingers?
I know someone will say get thee to John Lewis!
THanks for any advice
chairs are like these ones

noddyholder Fri 22-Jul-11 17:05:40

I would choose a thick printed 50s style heavy upholstery canvas or linen in colours that tone with the rest of the room and scotch guard them before you use themthis sort of thing

mrszimmerman Fri 22-Jul-11 17:22:19

thanks

lalalonglegs Fri 22-Jul-11 17:38:12

Vinyl is Always Wrong. I'd suggest a hessian style fabric - Heals do some good retro prints but they are ridiculously expensive.

I wouldn't really think of them as being G-Plan actually.

yomellamoHelly Fri 22-Jul-11 18:56:40

My Mum had these. She had them recovered eventually with a plain cream chenille. Didn't quite work imo. Too big a contrast. Would go for a retro-style pattern that you like.

mrszimmerman Sat 23-Jul-11 17:02:59

thanks for suggestions, they may well not be gplan, m in law said they were but I'm sure she wouldn't necessarily know.
How do you scotchguard fabric? Is it a spray?
Thanks

mrszimmerman Mon 25-Jul-11 10:40:06

I can't believe that I can't find anything I don't like!
I really like the 50s retro ones at John Lewis but they're quite expensive no?
Also would a 50s style necessarily clash with these fairly dull 70s chairs?
I know it depends on what you like but I like to hear what people like!
I think this is the only one I really like and I don't think it will go with the house or the chairs!!!
here
How do you stylish people make decisions.....

Fimbo Mon 25-Jul-11 16:28:08

Gplan recover things. My mil has a lounge suite and has had it recovered by them about 3 times in the 18 years I have known dh.

Fimbo Mon 25-Jul-11 17:15:47

eek, ignore me. It is Ercol she has and who recover.

kitsmummy Mon 25-Jul-11 20:17:44

If you like the Sanderson Dandelion Clocks then look on ebay. It's a hugely popular print and there are always loads of remnants on ebay, you'd get all you needed for a fraction of the price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now