Advanced search

moving without handing in notice?

(10 Posts)
lilly153 Thu 21-Jul-11 13:39:36

i no you shouldnt do it and its wrong but im just wondering what the consiquensys might be?
i live in a private rented flat its damp mould growing on windows, bathroom floor was so unsteady fell through it, in winter water comes pishing through the windows(estate agents wont fix as its because of the weather) my list is really endless and estate agents take forever to fix things
and again i no its not right so im probaly answering my own question but what would happen if i do just wake up one day n move blush
i do get some help paying my rent as im a single parent and student can they trace me this way

Kveta Thu 21-Jul-11 13:54:50

have you contacted the council (Enivornmental health dep, I think) with the problems in the property? they can often apply more pressure to landlords than the tenant can.

also, if you move without handing in notice, you will a) lose your deposit, and b) lose any chance of a good reference in the future when looking for a new place to live. Neither of these is a good outcome.

lilly153 Thu 21-Jul-11 14:00:40

i no i will lose my deposit but my lease isnt up till week before christmas so not only will i have the stress of christmas, uni exams plus the pressure of having to find a house and move would just be to much
and no i havent contacted council didnt think they could be any use if its private let
i just want to know if they will come looking for me with all sorts of charges?

SirenSusan Thu 21-Jul-11 14:46:08

You should be able to terminate your lease by giving a notice period - what does your lease say?

LIZS Thu 21-Jul-11 15:47:39

Yes they can pursue you legally, possibly for the full rent until the end of lease , although it seems unusually long (6 months is the norm) and a judge may compromise on the amount.

Kveta Thu 21-Jul-11 16:44:10

I was in an awful private let in London and the council were very happy to help. If they aren't, local MPs can help too. Mine was a great threat help smile it's far better to rectify the situation than to run away from it - don't let the landlord get away with being crap!

Putthatbookdown Thu 21-Jul-11 19:57:15

When you get out of this joint could you not apply to a Housing Association or something like that?

bibbitybobbityhat Thu 21-Jul-11 19:59:46

What are you studying? Is it gcse level?

lilly153 Fri 22-Jul-11 10:00:16

no i will be doing an undergraduate course, 3rd year entre and allready applied for something through housing but their answer was unless i have another child they cant offer me any hlep

Gonzo33 Fri 22-Jul-11 13:14:17

and they wonder why the UK is the way it is.

Definately get in touch with the council, environmental help will be able to help I am sure. That way you are more likely to get out of the situation without a poor reference or losing money.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: