Advanced search

1m boundary 'rule' for extending

(11 Posts)
JamieJay Wed 20-Jul-11 23:44:30

Our shoebox house is an end of terrace at the end of a cul-de-sac, the road is on the left hand side of the house and then comes round to a turning circle type set up at the front of the terrace.

We're hoping to do a 2 storey extension on the left hand side in the future (i.e. extending out to the pavement). Does anyone know if this 1m boundary clearance thing apply to all boundaries or just to those shared with other houses?

Due to the space we have available we wouldn't be able to sacrifice the 1m and have a realistic sized extension - the layout of the cul-de-sac means the extension wouldn't block anyones light or any lines of sight for people turning their cars round at the end of the cul-de-sac IYSWIM.

Having seen the prices of 3 beds in this areas and knowing we're going to be a one income family for a while I'm really wondering if we'll ever be able to move so need to know there is some hope of extending confused

Mandy21 Thu 21-Jul-11 15:12:11

The 1m rule doesn't exist as far as I know - we had the architect round last week to talk about extending our property and he said thats a myth - there are circumstances where you won't be allowed to extend right to the boundary but its not a blanket 1m rule as far as I know. If I understand your post correctly, would the extension take you closer to the road? If it does I think there are very strict guidelines about that, you'd certainly need planning permission (rather than going doen the 'permitted development route'). From what the artitect told me, its much harder to get permission for a 2 storey extension too.

Do you know anyone locally who has had a similar thing done? Could you perhaps call the planners are your local council?


Pendeen Thu 21-Jul-11 15:42:22

From the government planning website:

"No extension forward of the principal elevation or side elevation fronting a highway."

so you will probably not be allowed to extend at the side.

JamieJay Thu 21-Jul-11 17:54:26

Thanks both, glad it's not a blanket rule.

I figured we'd need to go for planning permission as it was outside permitted development rights.

Three houses on this road have been extended to the side, 2 of which were towards the road so there is a percedence [sp], however I think both of them have a clear gap between the new house wall and the pavement.

Thing I will try giving the planner a ring and hope - otherwise it might be a case of moving DH into the shed!

KATC2010 Thu 21-Jul-11 17:59:16

We extended right up to our boundary 2 years ago so as to make maximum use of size available but it was a boundary with neighbour.

My advice would be always get the planners round for an informal chat first or go to a planning 'surgery' with photo's, sketches etc of your ideas. You will get an idea of if they will support or oppose your plans which can save costly mistakes. (I also work for a property developing company and so have had lots of experience of trying to get them on side) grin

Good luck x

JamieJay Thu 21-Jul-11 18:30:27

Thanks for the really helpful post KATC

Do planners tend to do popping round for a chat for small scale extension, figured they'd only be interested in bigger developments.

Pendeen Fri 22-Jul-11 08:46:19

As I said above, you will need to apply and it is probable that you may be refused for an extension up to a boundary with a highway so if you say it isn't worth the effort if you can't use the full space then it would probably be easier to move if you need more space or consider a loft conversion.

If you want to take this a bit further be aware that Local Authorities are now able to charge for informal pre-application advice although not every council has taken this up yet. Give them a ring or look at their website to find out if they do.

Planners very rarely (at least the ones I deal with here) site visits at the pre-application stage.

These days I find it is often easier, quicker and certainly quicker to simply submit the application, haggle with them over 'registering' (this is a dogde most planning departments use to cirvumvent the 8 week decision rule) and take it from there.

Whatever you decide; best of luck.

Pendeen Fri 22-Jul-11 08:53:20

I meant "....certainly cheaper..." !

noddyholder Fri 22-Jul-11 09:12:25

Definitely get the planners round first as snobs terraces often get refused forvthings like this if the end edges public way. If you ask them round ask for an indication of what they would allow and base drawings on that.

noddyholder Fri 22-Jul-11 09:12:57

Snobs? End of I meant bloody I pad!

JamieJay Fri 22-Jul-11 23:25:10

Thanks all for the further comments and suggestions.

Will spend some time browsing the council's website to see how they do things here.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: