Talk

Advanced search

No curtains - wwyd?

(9 Posts)
JumpJockey Wed 20-Jul-11 21:48:19

Vendors have finally returned all the paperwork and everything looks ok to exchange fairly soon - but f&f says they're taking all the curtains. What do you do in this situation - we're leaving the bedroom ones for our buyers as they're on poles rather than hooks/rails, but either way new house has 1xwide per room and we've currently got 2x narrow so curtains wouldn't fit if we took them.
Is it fair to ask vendors for window measurements so i can try and pick up some in charity shop until we're settled? We have two juniors who won't be able to sleeo with light coming in all night... Or do you just sellotape sugar paper over the glass each night?

ChasingSquirrels Wed 20-Jul-11 21:50:34

of course you can ask for measurements, any normal person would be more than happy to give them to you, or even ask if you wanted to come round and measure up.

you could just hang sheets/towels over the bedroom curtain rails for a while until you get curtains sorted, I wouldn't faff about with sellotaping paper up and taking down every day.

LemonDifficult Wed 20-Jul-11 21:52:19

What CS said. And choosing curtains is quite a fun project for settling into a house. You should be able to get some on Freecycle in the short term.

JumpJockey Wed 20-Jul-11 21:55:40

Righto - will get on the case asap. Have never done the house moving thing before so not familiar with the etiquette!
Nb LemonDifficult I love your name smile

HoneyPablo Thu 21-Jul-11 08:33:53

I would (and have in the past) make an appointment and measure the windows myself. You can then buy curtains before you move and hang them when you move in.

missnevermind Thu 21-Jul-11 09:40:11

I asked if it was ok to come round and measure up. Brought Mum with me and it gave her a chance to nose around and ask the questions that I might think were too personal - Gotta love old people.

But I wouldnt want the old curtains anyway.

Cocoflower Thu 21-Jul-11 10:17:54

Yes, yes ask to measure up! You will probably need other measurments too such as for kitchen applicances- are you taking your fridge for instance?

It will be very exciting getting new things and now is perfect with all the sales on.

I would ask to go around just to check house is still ok at the same time- i.e no floods or fires since or they haven't let the house get in a state etc

JumpJockey Thu 21-Jul-11 10:22:33

Fortunately the fridge freezer and dishwasher are fitted into the kitchen, and we need to redo the utility. That's a point - if we get a washing machine plumbed in, can it be moved at a later date?
Things are a bit awkward, vendor has been very slow to get all the papers together and we've had to make various threats to pull out - presumably we shouldn't ask to go round until after exchange?
Missnevermind - we wuldn't be thinking of keeping old curtains for ever, but kids bedroom faces the street so no hope of getting them to sleep so even dodgy old curtains would be better than nothing!

Cocoflower Thu 21-Jul-11 10:35:38

"presumably we shouldn't ask to go round until after exchange?"

Rubbish! This person is expecting you to give them a huge amount of money soon- they cannot act like you are doing them a favour.

They should be bending over backwards to accomadate you and realise how lucky they are to have a buyer in this market.

Its very, very normal to have one final check before exchange anyway to make sure no issues have happened since you last visited (fire, flood, pulled all fittings out, house in horrific state and I have even heard of people renting the house out which leaves you with an unwanted tenant etc)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now