Talk

Advanced search

Trying to revamp my kitchen... Any Suggestions?

(5 Posts)
owlets Wed 20-Jul-11 15:32:58

What is starting to look dated and what is coming in in the world of kitchens?
I hate my kitchen. The living space is open plan, so I can't just shut a door and ignore it. I want to give it a makeover, but its only about a year old so I'd rather work with what Ive already got.
So, the units are shaker style, distressed looking painted wood in a very yellowy shade of cream (which I really dislike). Its finished off with some chinzy handles.
The worktop is thickish oak. Its nice, but I think the colour is slightly too dark, so If i'm being picky I'd quite like it if I can get it paler by sanding it down and using a different finish on it. There are a few burn faint marks on it which it would be good to get rid of too.
The sink is brushed chrome, like a Dublin sink in style.
There are no Splashbacks.
The floor is pale floorboards and the walls are currently white. There are no wall units so its quite a big space of wall (high ceilings)
I've got a cream Smeg fridge/freezer but all the other appliances are built in behind cupboards.

I'm open to all ideas about how I can spruce it up. Something that looks modern, but not just 'do up to sell' if you know what I mean.
Are there any good interior design websites that aren't too show homey?

And if anyone knows anything about repainting kitchen units it would be very handy.
Thanks!

yomellamoHelly Wed 20-Jul-11 18:59:19

If it's open plan what colours/style do you have elsewhere?

7to25 Thu 21-Jul-11 16:52:51

grey units?
Elephant's breath or darker.
Two Colours of grey would look good with the darker one on the lower cabinets and the paler one above.
I know that you have no upper cabinets! Could you add some for a different look?
Glass splash back in a vibrant hue?
Or stainless steel backsplash with graphite cabinets?

owlets Fri 22-Jul-11 08:20:16

Thanks.
I'd been thinking about elephants breath and have just ordered a few greyish f&b samples to try out. I need a colour that will go with the fridge/freezer, but I think eb will.
No room for wall units - kitchen too small and the oven is in the middle so I can't put anything above that, but a shelf might be possible to break the wall.
Are the little brick shaped tiles that look like they are from the tube/ a public toilet on their way out?
I like the coloured glass ones, but they might clash with the style of my units too much.

The rest of the room is currently off White, with a few bright paintings and chairs, chrome lamps, a bashed up dark leather sofa and a similar armchair. I guess it's modern/20th cent design classic rip offs pieces. I've haven't had the flat that long though, so it's not very unified yet. I thought I'd start at the kitchen and work on from there.

7to25 Fri 22-Jul-11 22:09:58

They are called subway or metro tiles.
they would go with your look but the trend seems to be for no or minimalist splash backs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now