Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tell me how much this extension might cost!

(9 Posts)
lucysnowe Mon 18-Jul-11 13:13:21

I know you are not my builder but you are all knowledgeable ladies and I am clueless. [hsmile]

DH has some plans to turn our two-bed 1920s cottage to a three bed. It involves

- knocking down kitchen (currently an extension) and rebuilding it bigger, adding a second storey with a new bedroom and ensuite
- moving stairs from hall to living room
- moving walls around upstairs to make current bathroom bigger and convert current master bedroom to two smaller ones
- adding a window in the front
- new floors downstairs, new kitchen, new bathroom(s), new carpets for bedrooms - all pretty cheap though (Ikea/B&Q)
- redecorating/plastering throughout
- Oh and planning permission obv.

Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much this might cost, or if you did something similar, how much it cost you??

Thanks a million!

Wigeon Mon 18-Jul-11 14:35:59

Where in the country are you? How big do you want the rebuilt kitchen to be? Sounds like pretty major work to me. We are just having a small (3m x 3.5m) kitchen extension at the mo and so a very wild estimate (south east England prices) - upwards of £50k (am not a builder tho). Depending on the value of your house it might be worth moving house rather than attempting so much work on your existing house.

lucysnowe Mon 18-Jul-11 19:42:55

Hi Wigeon, thanks for the reply!

Really - that much? You see I had no idea really, I was thinking more like 30-40k for the whole lot. shock Can I ask if your extension is to add a second storey or more space? And does it include a new kitchen, knocking down existing roof etc?

We are in Oxfordshire - not the cheapest place I would imagine - do prices vary a lot?

Depending on the value of your house it might be worth moving house rather than attempting so much work on your existing house.

You are saying what I want to hear smile but DH is v. keen on his plan, bless him, and it is a lovely house...

Wigeon Mon 18-Jul-11 19:55:42

I should think Oxfordshire is pretty similar to Hertfordshire (where I am). I think £30-£40k is very conservative, even if you go for the cheapest kitchen etc etc. I will private message you about our costs...smile.

I think you need to get a couple of builders round to give you a rough idea of costs and present your DH with your findings, and start looking at Rightmove!

lucysnowe Mon 18-Jul-11 21:23:47

thankyou, have replied!

kbaby Mon 18-Jul-11 21:56:30

Just to give you an idea, we've had 3 quotes to change velux window into dormer, move stairs, install bathroom upstairs, remodel all bedrooms and knock down a kitchen wall. All of the quotes are coming in around 35k and that's without having anything actually built.
I think you'll be looking at 40k upwards

pepperrabbit Mon 18-Jul-11 21:58:43

Definitely get several quotes.
We're just about to start our build - 2 storey side and part-front plus single storey at the back - to give you an idea quotes ranged from £64k+VAT to £110k+VAT.
Yes indeedy, shock shock shock

kbaby Mon 18-Jul-11 22:17:49

I'll have to show Dh your quote pepper, he was moaning about ours!

lucysnowe Tue 19-Jul-11 08:49:57

Thanks kbaby and blimey pepper.

Looking into it I've seen some people say around £1000 per m2, and some up to £2500 per m2 - that's a massive difference! And I suppose you have to think about quality as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now