Talk

Advanced search

Eeeek! Plant growing out our lounge skirting board!

(5 Posts)
Bronte Mon 18-Jul-11 10:43:48

We think it might be a shoot from the lilac tree in the front garden having matched up the leaves. Think we'll have to poison it off? Anyone else been invaded by outdoor plants. Just hope a bloody tree root doesn't thrust itself up through the floor!

ElbowFan Mon 18-Jul-11 19:19:39

Might be worth getting someone, maybe a buildings surveyor (?) round to check. If it's come through the wall it might indicate damp or something as roots usually go towards water, shoots towards light.
If it is a root it may have done something nasty to your Damp Proof Course - I'm no expert, but I think I'd try to find someone who is if I were you.

Mammonite Mon 18-Jul-11 23:05:17

It's not Japanese Knotweed is it, the leaves are very similar to lilac? It has distinctive red stems. Worth getting it checked out - council? I'm sure I went to a talk once that showed a photo of a plant growing out of a skirting board, and IIRC it was JK. But I very much hope you haven't got that, if there was knotweed around your area you'd know about it because it's very invasive.

I will stop googling "plant growing indoors" as that's coming up with a completely different kind of plant!!!

Mammonite Mon 18-Jul-11 23:08:53

here just so you can eliminate it I hope. but if you have got it do not try to fix yourself, get a professional, it is the asbestos of the plant world!

Bronte Tue 19-Jul-11 13:33:52

Thanks for the advice. Will seek professional help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now