Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What are the rules with regards to extending if it's a downstairs maisonette?

(4 Posts)
LaurieFairyCake Mon 18-Jul-11 08:28:53

I know what they are with a house but if you bought a flat downstairs with a big garden (and a share of the freehold) do the same rules apply?

If so I could move to this flat I've seen and put a large extension/conservatory on it and it would be bigger than my current (tiny) cottage.

lalalonglegs Mon 18-Jul-11 09:54:55

You need planning consent (and party wall agreements) to extend any sort of flat.

LaurieFairyCake Mon 18-Jul-11 11:43:17

Interesting you need planning consent when you don't need it for houses. It's the whole of the downstairs so not attached to anyone elses wall though - it's basically a detached house, 2 flats - upstairs and downstairs.

lalalonglegs Mon 18-Jul-11 12:52:59

Flats don't have permitted development rights so you will always need planning consent - it doesn't mean that getting it won't be very straightforward and a bit of a formality but, unlike houses, there is always a chance that even a small extension could compromise someone else's home.

I wouldn't let it put me off buying a flat that had lots of potential to extend but I would check out the neighbours first and see if the person/people living upstairs were likely to be pita about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now