Talk

Advanced search

Can you recommend a F&B neutral colour

(16 Posts)
LovingTheSunshine Sat 16-Jul-11 22:36:54

We are decorating downstairs & hallway/landing & I want to do it all the same colour in FB - any recommendations?

Thanks

amazonianwoman Sun 17-Jul-11 07:59:11

Slipper satin? Lime white?

Georgimama Sun 17-Jul-11 08:04:46

What an odd question - how can you know you want a F&B colour and yet not know what colour you want? You might not like any of them.

The "whites" tend to come up er not at all white so make sure you do a fairly sizeable test patch in situ. Pointing is very nice.

microserf Sun 17-Jul-11 16:49:48

yes, the whites are often not very white at all! great white is actually grey.

i recommend skimming stone. nice neutral. bit grey, but we love it.

LovingTheSunshine Mon 18-Jul-11 00:35:40

Thank you! I've heard such fab reports about F&B paint I thought I'd ask for advice smile Will order some testers

Georgimama Mon 18-Jul-11 06:05:16

Oh fair enough, yes they do have some lovely colours and the paint is very good quality.

bambootoo Mon 18-Jul-11 07:57:51

I like shaded white, most of my rooms have ended up this colour as I think it looks good but quite different in different light.

LovingTheSunshine Mon 18-Jul-11 08:45:02

Thanks smile

minipie Mon 18-Jul-11 16:21:33

How dark do you want? Do you want a very light colour or something darker?

Very light tone:
Slipper Satin is a slightly beigey off white.
James White is a slightly greeny off white.
Wimborne White is a yellowy/creamy off white.
Strong white is a slightly bluey/greeny off white (I think)
Blackened is a slightly bluey/mauvey off white.

Bear in mind that some of the off whites (eg James White or Strong white) can end up looking a bit like you painted the walls White but they've gone dirty.

Light/mid tone: Skimming Stone is a neutral that goes with anything. It's a warm, pale browny/grey colour.

Mid tone: Cornforth White is a grey/blue/mauve colour. Elephants Breath is a brown/grey. Stony Ground is a slightly greeny brown/fawn. All very nice colours but they are not light so are really best if you have lots of light.

I would also recommend a look at the Little Greene paint company, Paint & Paper Library and Sanderson paints. Though you could end up with too many to choose among!

LovingTheSunshine Tue 19-Jul-11 20:44:26

Wow thank you!

I am getting these curtains made from Laura Ashley for the front room so really want the paint to go with the curtains as the rest of the downstairs doesn't have anything so strong coloured in it. Slipper satin may blend well?

LovingTheSunshine Tue 19-Jul-11 20:46:43

P.S. I don't want anything dark, just something light but not too boring smile

beanlet Tue 19-Jul-11 20:49:43

Lime White, Pointing, Slipper Satin. They all work nicely together too.

Just NOT tallow <bleurgh>

Macaroona Tue 19-Jul-11 20:49:46

I have those curtains, they're lovely smile Walls are builder magnolia though so should prob repaint. There are lots of lovely cushions in Laura A which co-ordinate beautifully too - spent a bloody fortune on them but I maintain the look is worth it!

LovingTheSunshine Tue 19-Jul-11 20:59:34

Good to hear that Macaroona...the material is pretty bold huh? but verrrrry nice smile

Will order some testers tonight!

linspins Wed 20-Jul-11 21:27:26

I've just painted my kitchen and dining room in Slipper satin, and my friend used it in her spare room..it's a good neutral that isn't creamy. Get some testers though cos they all look so different depending on the light.

LovingTheSunshine Sun 24-Jul-11 20:44:17

Ok I received the testers: Lime White, Matchstick, Old White, Pointing & Tarrow & we have chosen Tarrow (sorry beanlet!). We like the colour & it goes really well with the new curtains we are having made. Thanks everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now