Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about Eltham, SE9

(31 Posts)
NotAnotherNewNappy Sat 16-Jul-11 19:57:07

There is a chance that, if things go our way, DH and I might be able to buy our first home next year <fingers crossed emoticon>

We'd like a 3 bed house with a garden, near a good primary (state or RC), commutable from central London (pref Victoria or Charing Cross), near to green space (cycling paths would be nice)... But we will only be able to afford 230k max which isn't really v much for London.

What's Eltham like? The houses look nice and I like the look of the park and the leisure centre? Are there particular areas to look at/avoid? Does anybody know anything about the Progress Estate? Thanks in advance smile

RightUpMyRue Sat 16-Jul-11 20:04:06

Remember Stephen Lawrence? There is, or was, quite a large national front presence there. I wouldn't want to live there.

mousesma Sat 16-Jul-11 20:05:27

I don't have much experience of Eltham but it's always struck me as being a bit rough. IMO The surrounding areas of New Eltham or Lee are much nicer.

Don't whatever you do move to Kidbrooke or Mottingham as they are very unpleasant.

moonferret Sat 16-Jul-11 20:15:25

I would even consider most of London...nightmarish place. The only exceptions being the areas you need millions to buy in...! But if you did, there would be much better uses for your money. So that's the whole place ruled out!

WasSparklies Sat 16-Jul-11 21:28:05

I live in an area nearish to Eltham. I visited the playground in the park there the other day with the DCs. I was shocked at how rude everyone was - not just a few people, but everyone. One man dropped cola all over my two year old and just grunted and walked off when I pointed it out to him, and when I asked the cafe place for some tissues (it was partly their fault too) they rolled their eyes and handed over one really begrudgingly. People were also pretty hostile elsewhere too.

When I got home I posted this story to my blog and immediately had half a dozen people reply and say they weren't surprised, that Eltham is like that. I had no idea.

Can't really give any recommendations (am not too impressed with my area but it's a LOT more friendly than Eltham if nothing else) but just.. avoid Eltham!

echt Sun 17-Jul-11 08:57:12

I hesitated before clicking on this because I wanted to say there was a high percentage of white racist shits in Eltham.

But I see others have got there first.

Not sure about catchment areas, but Thomas Tallis Secondary is very good.

uggmum Sun 17-Jul-11 09:02:10

I lived in London and I went to Eltham Green School. I thought that it was a terrible area and I wouldn't buy a house there.

As another poster said, Lee is nicer. I actually lived in Abbey Wood and it was nice there. Don't know what it's like now.

poeia Sun 17-Jul-11 09:15:42

I have a friend who has just moved from the Progress Estate, she has 2 young boys, and they liked living there. Eltham itself is a bit rough but really easy to get to Lee, Blackheath etc. Quite a lot of good playgroups in Eltham, and leisure centre is good...

nancy75 Sun 17-Jul-11 09:19:29

there are some nice roads in Elthan , but it's mostly a bit rough. I lived there a few yeras ago and commuted to victoria - the train service was ok but i think the last train back to eltham was at about 7.45pm! I know after work i had to run for the early train or wait 45minutes for the next one.

Have you looked at bromley/beckenham area? train links are better but the houses are more expensive.

MegBusset Sun 17-Jul-11 09:35:30

Eltham is awful, mind you I think that about most of SE London (can you tell I grew up there). Bromley/Brockley/Beckenham nicer, more expensive though - can you compromise on house size for the time being?

MegBusset Sun 17-Jul-11 09:39:20

Eg I reckon you could get a 3-bed garden flat in Brockley/Forest Hill for your money.

Einsty Sun 17-Jul-11 09:48:29

If you must, the Progress Estate is gorgeous. I was tempted, but with a foreign husband felt I couldn't risk it. How sad is that?

Einsty Sun 17-Jul-11 09:50:29

A friend who lived in Forest Hill raved about it - said it was the best community she had lived in in five cities in three countries, FWIW.

mousesma Sun 17-Jul-11 10:20:15

Yes Forest Hill is lovely I just wish I could afford to buy there smile I'm surprised to see another poster saying that Thomas Tallis is a good school. I went to an open day there a couple of years ago when my neice was choosing schools and was absolutely horrified by the poor standards. It was like visiting the school from the 4th season of The Wire.

cupnoodle Sun 17-Jul-11 12:24:00

Message withdrawn

downtothesea Mon 18-Jul-11 10:24:28

I know Eltham very well.
It's a really pleasant and safe place to live. Check the crime rates on Police.co.uk and then compare them with Wandworth, Southwark, Bromley, Sidcup, Peckham Beckenham - it's much safer.
I would say it's definitely on the up due to overflow from Greenwich and Blackheath. House prices are rising very fast though.
Ignore the bigots posting nonsense about racism - how many black kids have been killed in Islington?

downtothesea Mon 18-Jul-11 12:01:14

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/1185921-Eltham - might be worth a look

swanley Sat 05-Jan-13 00:27:49

i live on progress in eltham and it is a lovely area to live most of the houses are private and few are housing ass the people are nice and friendly and i feel safe liveing here dont take any notice of the people that ran eltham down i was bought up on the rochester way move out the area when i was older and now returned to the area and live here 12 years now so dont listin to all the lot of old rubbish that some people say they dont know the area as ive live there all my life.

NotAnotherNewNappy Sat 05-Jan-13 12:15:03

Wow, it's v odd when you look on mumsnet and see a thread you started has come back to life! Swanley, you'll be pleased to know I didn't let the above posters put me off and we are now the v proud owners of a gorgeous cottage in Eltham. I love it here - I feel really safe walking home at night, there are lovely parks & playgroups, lots of good shopping on the high st, being so close to the A2 means it's easy to get out of London and there are plenty of good schools (Gordon, Deansfield, St Mary's etc). All our neighbours have welcomed us and the Asian family next door say they've been here 10yrs and love it too.

What happened to Stephen Lawrence was terrible, but it was over 20 yrs ago and the recent trial showed the cover up was down to the police NOT the community.

swanley Sun 05-May-13 23:26:08

hi everyone first let me say that i am a 52 year old woman and i was bought up on the rochester way and now live on the progress est live here 13 years all this rubbish about being a rough area well i love eltham and i have walked around this area late and ive always felt safe the reason people thinks its rough cause of this steven lawence thing well yes it was bad what happened but same things go on in other areas but you dont hear so much about it i say to anyone buy a house here lot more rough places then here but its not rough here and i should know as ive lived here all my life so them people that slang it off shut up you dont know what your talking about you dont live here so how can you know .

Monty27 Sun 05-May-13 23:34:39

It's probably ok if you're white and not out in the dark.

I agree schools and commuting isn't bad, green space is good, and it's near nicer places grin

Glad you're happy though op.

I live quite near, in a very diverse community. I like it grin

Purpleprickles Sun 05-May-13 23:39:35

This thread title caught my eye. I'm glad to hear you are happy in Eltham Not. I've lived here for a while now and really love it mainly because of the green spaces and good facilities nearby. I've also found on the whole people to be very friendly. It's always sad to hear your home area slated when you feel so positive about it so it's good to hear that you weren't swayed!

swanley Sun 05-May-13 23:43:01

just wanted to also say that doesnt matter if its bought or housing ass on the progress est the people are friendly and nice its like a village so please dont be put off liveing here you wont regret it i promise.

swanley Sun 05-May-13 23:51:17

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

swanley Sun 01-Dec-13 17:34:51

so glad you bought a house in eltham I told you it was nice place to live I knew you wouldn't regret it good luck and enjoy the lovely places/parks shops and so happy you went ahead with your move x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now