Talk

Advanced search

daughter wants disney princess bedroom, please recommend stylish alternatives

(14 Posts)
SarfEasticated Sat 16-Jul-11 18:18:07

We are moving soon and my nearly 4 year old DD is getting her first big girl bed and bedroom. I am willing to go a bit pink, but she wants full on disney - any nice alternatives that will keep us both happy?

Hulababy Sat 16-Jul-11 18:37:07

Disney princess room stick on things. Then when she has outgrown them you peel them off. With maybe a very pale White pinknon the walls.

I did dd's room full on pink when she asked with the stick ons too. She loved it! And, after all, it was her room.

PandaG Sat 16-Jul-11 18:45:55

we did the disney princess stick ons too, and duvet cover. Rest of room lilac walls and deeper purple curtains. Easy to update by removing stickers and adding older accessories.

PrettyCandles Sat 16-Jul-11 18:52:57

A neutralish girly colour on the walls, eg lilac, and a rich dark pinkish carpet. Those are the things that are trickiest andmost expensive to change. Disney bedlinen/rug/curtains/stickarounds for the theme. These are easy and relatively cheap to change. Get separate blackout linings for the curtains, so that you can buy cheap thin themed curtains, and move the linings over when you replace the curtains.

nancy75 Sat 16-Jul-11 18:58:49

show her this beauty! cgi.ebay.co.uk/Disney-Princess-Carriage-Bed-Canopy-/290587322492?pt=Beds_Mattresses&hash=item43a85aa87c my dd has this, it is as ugly as sin but she loves it! There is plenty of time to be tasteful when she is older grin

monkeyfacegrace Sat 16-Jul-11 19:10:24

Just out of interest, why are you so against it? She has the rest of her life to be grown-up and stylish.

My dd has a total jungle bedroom, over the top and crazy, but its fun for her.

Go on, let her go wild smile

SarfEasticated Sat 16-Jul-11 19:57:02

We aren't regular redecorators - our house last done before she was born blush - so I don't want to go full Barbie, for her to go off it in favour of something else <remembers the ballet dancer phase with a shudder>. At the moment she has the Disney princess bedlinen (toddler bed size) and clock, and night light, and every book and dvd known to man so she is hardly being deprived, but I would like to give her a neutral room for the garish stuff to go on top. I was thinking of one of those nice IKEA white wrought iron bedsteads and maybe a net canopy, but wondered if anyone knew of a range of bedlinen that was princessy and feminine but not disney, which may last a bit longer.

Rosebud05 Sat 16-Jul-11 20:05:14

My 4 year dd just chose herself a pink heart design duvet from Ikea.

Very cheap, tasteful enough for me and she's very pleased with it.

Although she sounds a bit less worldly wise than your dd as she has no idea who Disney Princesses are.

SarfEasticated Sat 16-Jul-11 20:10:11

I don't know how you have managed that Rosebud05 am very envy
My DD is very worldly wise, lots of older cousins, and going to nursery I reckon. Thanks for the Ikea tip, will have a looksee.

Honneybunny Sat 16-Jul-11 21:20:27

when i was about 5 i asked my parents for a princess's room too.
what i got was a room with very pale pinkish walls, flowery accessories like duvet and a sort of a muskeeto net (flowing curtain out of lace fabric) above my bed , a little like this (sorry i know it is in dutch, but i am sure you get the idea...)

i remember being in 7th heaven.

Whorulestheroost Sat 16-Jul-11 21:21:28

rosebud my dd wanted a spongebob squarepants bedroom! I took her into Laura Ashley and let her chose a lovely bedspread and thus managed to get spongebob out of her head what a cruel mummy anyway we ended up with the chimney breast wall in wallpaper and the rest of the room White and hung lots of bunting. She has a lovely white iron bed and it all looks lovely now. A proper little princess bedroom but stylish too

youarekidding Sat 16-Jul-11 21:22:45

Have you looked at Wilkinsons? They do great ranges and they have a butterfly one, princess one, much cheaper and can get plain accessories so no need to completely re do when she outgrows it.

Whorulestheroost Sat 16-Jul-11 21:23:59

sarfeasticated Laura Ashley, John Lewis and the White company all do lovely little girls ranges. Not too garish either. There's always next as well there ranges can be quite nice grin

SarfEasticated Sun 17-Jul-11 10:20:13

Thanks all - off to John Lewis to have a look - not mentally strong enough for IKEA on a Sunday. <shudders>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now