Talk

Advanced search

What is this obsession with garden studios?

(13 Posts)
JumpJockey Fri 15-Jul-11 08:42:34

So many of the houses coming on the market at the moment have these studio thgs at the end of the garden - which otherwise would have been a decent size. EG house and house 2

Why?! Do enough people now work from home that it's worth blocking off 1/3 of your garden for one of these? I saw one house where the studio was a home office with shower, presumably so they could say the house had 2 bathrooms hmm because of course everyone likes to walk to the end of the garden in their dressing gown...

JumpJockey Fri 15-Jul-11 08:43:28

woops house 2

noddyholder Fri 15-Jul-11 08:48:46

We are about to move and dp is going to have one built for his music studio which is currently housed on our landing and all the stuff drives me mad! Plus he can sing and 'jam' with his mates til his hearts content

VivaLeBeaver Fri 15-Jul-11 08:50:15

I want one for our garden. Will be a little retreat for me where I can bugger off and paint. I need to learn to paint first. <sigh>

I do have a massive garden though.

FannyPriceless Fri 15-Jul-11 08:56:11

We are about to move and the house we are moving to has one. Strangely, I would say at least 50% of the houses we looked at had them! I agree it is weird. And most of them were used as glorified garden sheds with loads of random junk in them.

But anyway, since we are inheriting one I am hoping that MrP will do what noddy's DP is planning on and put all his music gear in there. We are yet to have this conversation. When I brought up the possibility about one of the previous houses he said 'Oh no - the atmospheric conditions aren't suitable and it would damage the instruments.' shockangry

I think it might be worth spendinig a bit on insulation and windows just to get these damn instruments out of the house. Or we'll end up doing what the current owners do and use it for storing garden toys and the tumble drier.hmm

JumpJockey Fri 15-Jul-11 08:57:56

noddy/fanny - fair enough if it has an actual purpose like that!

noddyholder Fri 15-Jul-11 08:58:45

Fanny we are going to have to spend £ on insulation and locks in order to make this work. Dp wants the studio to 'play' in but I know he would like to bring all the tat in and not leave it out there which to me defeats the object. It is all or nothing for me otherwise I want it to paint in! He also maintains his guitars are works of art and should be on teh bloody walls

FannyPriceless Fri 15-Jul-11 09:02:12

Oh noddy. Our men must never meet. They would only encourage each other.

My sympathy to you, kindred sufferer.

noddyholder Fri 15-Jul-11 09:03:41

grin Leads everywhere and black boxes PITA!!!!!

Thromdimbulator Fri 15-Jul-11 09:55:44

OMG didn't realise Cambridge was THAT expensive!

We've looked into the glorified garden shed thing too. I saves the expense of having to go up a bedroom when what you really want is a home office. (Haven't got a house or garden to put it in yet though).

kansasmum Sat 16-Jul-11 12:54:16

We are getting one of these to boot my dh out into!! he works from home and spends hours on the phone and I spend hours telling my little boy to "be quiet cos daddy's on the phone"!

My ds is unable to have friends round after pre-school when dh is home because they are boys and they make noise and dh moans cos he can't hear on the phone!!

I am turning his current office into playroom for ds!!

Gonzo33 Sat 16-Jul-11 16:49:45

I'd have one (or an annexe) so that I can dump have my pre-teen's "playroom" out there.

JumpJockey Sat 16-Jul-11 21:21:27

kansas - that's an entirely legitimate reason, given that your DH work's from home. It's the ones that people seem to have stuck on to make themselves a guest suite or some such that make very little sense to me. Thromdibulator you have a good point about not losing a bedroom as well.

Maybe IABU then thinking that they're a frivolous unnecessary thing! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now