Talk

Advanced search

Six weeks since we had an offer accepted...

(9 Posts)
Karbea Thu 14-Jul-11 15:43:32

and nothing has moved forward. I'd like someone to help me understand what might be going on.

We agreed to buy a house 6 weeks ago, since then dh and I have moved to his parents house, which was supposed to be a short stop gap, as our house was sold and our buyers keen to move in.

When we viewed the house six weeks ago, the seller said she was keen to move, and was moving in with her elderly parents, every room had a pile of boxes/packing in the middle of the room.

A week ago we were told that her solicitor was sending the contract ASAP... Over a week later and still nothing, her solicitor doesn't return calls to ours, we've spoken to the agent who says she is still keen to sell quickly.

I need to know when we are moving out of my inlaws, they are lovely, but I need a home of our own, soon...

Any thoughts on what might be going on?

alliwant Thu 14-Jul-11 18:01:39

No advice but sympathy. Our chain has just gone very quiet and no one talking to each other and fannying about for over 3 weeks.... We have just put it back on the market as a way to try and shock them into being honest and communicating what the hell is going on. Our EA thinks the bottom of the chain has visa issues - he appears to be stuck in Saudi and its all gone quiet. Its very very stressful sad

best of luck x

hksi Thu 14-Jul-11 18:11:50

We had a similar situation - we gave 2 more weeks then we would go back on the market. It worked survey was done - solicitor instructed. Buyer has now pulled out but we've resold. If we waited for evermore and then they pulled out would miss out on potential buyers.

hksi Thu 14-Jul-11 18:12:44

Alliwant -that's rubbish. Hopefully you'll either resell quickly or everyone will wake up!!

Northernlurker Thu 14-Jul-11 18:17:18

Have you had a survey done on the property you want to buy? Is your mortgage in place?

JumpJockey Fri 15-Jul-11 08:35:44

We've just had to issue an ultimatum to our vendors, likewise 6 weeks since offer accepted, they hadn't provided even the basic forms to our solicitor so we've given them until next week or we withdraw. They're a separated couple who according to their agent "aren't working very well together" so they've each got a list of things to find and supply.

Our solicitor said two things are likely in this sort of situation- a) vendors are incompetent and have lost all the relevant documentation hmm or b) they're not looking to move into rented at all, but said that in order to be more attractive to buyers. Meanwhile they're busily looking for somewhere to buy and creating a chain that wasn't there before... Apparently "I'm moving into rented" is the second most common lie, after "I'm a cash buyer"!

Karbea Fri 15-Jul-11 13:30:39

northern... no the mortgage survey hasn't happened yet, mortgage has been approved in principle.
jump... I have a feeling she is dragging things out, as we've heard she has found somewhere, whereas in the beginning she was moving in with her parents.

Latest is that the contract is being sent to our solicitor today. No news on the muppet who should be exchanging on my place today/yesterday/the day before...

Gonzo33 Fri 15-Jul-11 14:43:54

Your survey has not been completed by the mortgage company yet? Is this because the vendor hasn't been available (assuming the lender isn't doing a "drive-by") or because they haven't pulled their finger out either. From personal experience surveyors normally go out to a property within a week and have the report ready 2-3 working days later.

Karbea Fri 15-Jul-11 14:45:42

I don't know, when we sold our house the survey was done really late too, I think different banks do things in different orders, some do the survey late in the process.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now