Talk

Advanced search

Extending a semi detached across the back and the side?

(3 Posts)
Mandy21 Thu 14-Jul-11 12:21:05

Anyone done this? Were hoping to put a double storey extension across the back of the house and down the driveway at the side but architect has advised that it won't be feasible to do this at the side (would be limited to a single storey) because the neighbours kitchen windows are at the side of their property.

Just wondered if anyone else had come across this - whether you got planning permission in the end / had a way round it or I need to reconcile that I'm not getting the extra space upstairs that I'd hoped for.

many thanks

ElbowFan Thu 14-Jul-11 18:28:43

This may be infringing their 'right to light' and you may not succeed in getting planning approval because of that

kbaby Thu 14-Jul-11 22:44:31

I think It's to do with the fact that a room can not look down into a living space. Ie their kitchen. It needs to be a certain distance away. If you go to the planning portal there's a document there about what you can and can't do. It may have more info on It.

www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now