Talk

Advanced search

IMPACT ON PRIVATE HOUSING WHEN HUGE AFFORDABLE HOUSING ESTATE IS BUILT?

(11 Posts)
hifi Wed 13-Jul-11 17:33:42

MY ELDERLY PARENTS LIVE IN FRONT OF green belt fields that have been given over to affordable housing, about 5,000. any ideas on what sort of price drop if any is to be expected once they are built?

hifi Wed 13-Jul-11 18:53:01

bump

memeandmine Wed 13-Jul-11 18:56:31

oooh - difficult one - housing prices are set to fall a bit anyway. Possibly it depends upon what it's worth now and where it is. A view is nice but not the be all and end all if a property is in a nice area or near to a good catchment school etc.

MissMarjoribanks Wed 13-Jul-11 22:03:42

I doubt this is true. Schemes of 5000 houses won't all be affordable as public money is required to make up the difference betwen the affordable price and the market price. There may be a proportion of the homes which are affordable, but entirely affordable schemes tend to max out at about 50 units.

Have they really got planning permission or is this just something someone has told them?

OddBoots Wed 13-Jul-11 22:07:56

I don't think the fact they are affordable will make a difference, it is the building itself that will do it. It will depend on how close they are and how much they block a view and what the area is like in the first place. Your best bet is to ask an estate agent who is familiar with the area.

hifi Fri 15-Jul-11 13:16:56

is been on the cards for years,the council has to apply to change the green belt land to brown belt.
the view is stunning,but thats where the houses will be built.they are going to a meeting on saturday so they will find out more then.thanks.

catpark Fri 15-Jul-11 13:37:58

hifi, you don't live near edinburgh do you ? Sounds like what's happening near me. There is a wee village that separates Edinburgh from Musselburgh and the council want to change the green belt area between them so they can build. It will ruin the village and my town as we will basically become merged with Edinburgh. The council have pushed it through despite there being objections higher up than them.

lachesis Fri 15-Jul-11 13:40:42

How is the council going to get money for that when they need to find £220m for those ridiculous trams by September? Thank fuck they won't be getting another penny from the Scottish government anymore. Bloody waste of half a billion pounds could have been spent shoring up roads like the A9 to pull more punters in with their tourist money.

catpark Fri 15-Jul-11 13:44:36

God knows lanchesis. They didn't consult any tax payers about the trams they just went ahead with it. They would have been better off just scrapping it rather than throwing more money down the drain. Musselburgh is under East Lothian council which seem to be a bit better than the crappy edinburgh council !

hifi Fri 15-Jul-11 13:55:31

not Edinburgh but almost exact set up, mum is in a village and it will end up joining it to the nearest town.its actually all social/council housing.

lachesis Fri 15-Jul-11 14:31:47

All of the councillors who voted for those trams should lose their jobs and their entire pensions, IMO. They blew half a billion pounds of taxpayer money coming from the entire country that could have been put to such good use improving infrastructure, especially the A9 and the A83, to pull in more punters.

I was hearing on the news yesterday the road between Inversnaid and Crieff, a major scenic attraction, is so bad bus companies are pulling out of using it due to safety concerns.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: