Talk

Advanced search

Planning permission for conservatories. Did you get it?

(8 Posts)
Pinkjenny Wed 13-Jul-11 10:28:22

We are in the middle of trying to sell our house, and the survey has come back with a question about planning and building control for the conservatory. Our builder advised us that we didn't need it, but the planning office have said that if it is more than 3m square, we needed it. Ours is 3.048m by 2.74m. The planning office have said, 'I wouldn't worry about it,' hmm but I have no idea whether or not we need to apply for retrospective planning permission.

I need some advice from people who have perhaps been in the same boat.

Pinkjenny Wed 13-Jul-11 11:07:30

Anyone? Have just spoken to the solicitor, she said we could offer them something called Buildings Regulation Indemnity Insurance. She didn't seem to think it was a massive problem. The builder is coming out to measure it today but the EA measured it as 10ft by 9'7ft.

Mandy21 Wed 13-Jul-11 11:15:29

By coincidence we had an architect visit the house yesterday and he said that you can go out 3m under Permitted Development but if its any more than that, you need planning permission. I think 10ft is more than 3m. You need to speak to the solicitor - the indemnity insurer will provide cover for the purchaser if the council were to get shirty about it and issue an enforcement notice (requiring them to demolish it because you haven't got planning permission) - it usually costs a few hundred pounds - or to speak to the Council to see if you can obtain permission retrospectively. The solicitor should advise which is the most appropriate / economical route.

Pinkjenny Wed 13-Jul-11 11:22:46

Mandy21 - thanks for your advice. I realise that 10ft is over 3m, I said that in my OP.

Will leave it in the hands of the solicitors, I think.

Pendeen Wed 13-Jul-11 14:40:36

Depends when it was constructed - the rules changed a few years ago.

Here are the current guidelines:

Interactive House

Fizzylemonade Wed 13-Jul-11 17:16:31

Posted on your other thread, see if you can get the planning office to write confirming that it comes under permitted development or I am sure they will give you retrospective planning permission if all else fails.

crazycarol Wed 13-Jul-11 23:00:04

My parents had a conservatory built several years ago and the builder assured them that he would take care of all of the necessary paperwork. Fastforward 12 years and my dad discovered that this wasn't done. He applied to the council and someone came out and looked at it and he got he necessary permissions. They were not selling at the time. You might struggle with timing if you have a buyer but I would talk to the council - not your solicitor - they will charge you in addition to the council fees.

timidviper Wed 13-Jul-11 23:07:59

We have an orangery (like a conservatory but less glass, more walls) and were told it didn't need planning permission. We asked the council to confirm that in writing to avoid any future problems.

Aren't the rules for conservatories different to the usual 3m thing? Something to do with the amount of glass? Mind you I could be totally wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now