Talk

Advanced search

Do i need emulsion under little greene paint

(6 Posts)
raisinbran Tue 12-Jul-11 12:26:51

Chosen my little green colours.The walls are drying out after plastering.

I am going for ultimatt french grey, hammock and welcome do i need to use a cheap white emulsion paint or paint my good paint straight onto the walls?

jaspercat2002 Tue 12-Jul-11 13:02:36

We did do a coat of cheap white - the new plaster absorbs the moisture so the paint dries really quickly and I think you would struggle to get the ulti matte on evenly before it starts to dry.

One coat of cheap white following by one of ultimatte has done the job fine though.
HTH

AMumInScotland Tue 12-Jul-11 13:03:14

If your walls are newly plastered, they will soak up the liquid in paint at an alarming rate, so you need to use either watered down paint, or stuff which is cheap and watery to start with, until it stops being so porous. It would be a lot cheaper to buy cheap white emulsion than to use your expensive brand for that.

GrottyPotPlant Tue 12-Jul-11 16:30:23

Nothing constructive to say, but we clearly have similar eyes- I have just done my three main rooms in Hammock, F&B Pavilion gray (very like french gray), and F&B Calluna (very very nearly went for Welcome instead).
Although I drove my helpers mad by doing my alcoves in the Hammock room in Mushroom. You know, for contrast and depth. Which only I can see...

SirenSusan Tue 12-Jul-11 17:18:26

You need a wash coat on new plaster and then 2 coats of Ultimatt for a good finish - the Ultimatt is lovely to work with and after only 2 days I have already felt grateful for it's washable qualities.

raisinbran Tue 12-Jul-11 18:11:14

Thank you, thank you, thank you I was getting concerned and cant afford to get this wrong. GPP nice to know your happy with colour!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now