Talk

Advanced search

Would artexed walls in a lounge put you off buying?

(15 Posts)
SlinkyB Tue 12-Jul-11 12:09:01

Quick straw-poll:

Our small, 1970's, first-time-buyer-type property has been on the market for over a year now. It has artexed walls in the lounge, and we're wondering if this might be putting people off? Estate Agent hasn't mentioned it, but we're getting desperate so trying everything at the moment.

So, would it put you off buying?

porcupine11 Tue 12-Jul-11 13:32:14

We bought a house with artexed ceilings, but are getting them skimmed straight away - I guess first time buyers might be put off by the cost of doing that. Investigate - I've been quoted £900 to skim ceilings in entire house, so can't be that much to do four walls

NearlyHeadlessnickelbabe Tue 12-Jul-11 13:34:13

no, i wouldn't be off-put.

If i ever wanted to paint/paper over it, there's always PolyFilla
grin

moodymary Tue 12-Jul-11 13:39:55

It would not put me off buying it but I would consider it to be something I'd want to change straight away.
I imagine a lot if first time buyers would be looking for something that needs little or no work so I think if I were in your situation I'd look into having them skimmed.
I remember removing artex from a small wall in a previous house, it was a very messy dusty job so would definitely get someone else in to skim them if I had four walls to do!

7to25 Tue 12-Jul-11 14:46:35

It would not put me off, but it would put off most first time buyers, they would buy the house down the road with no Artex.
If I was selling, I would do the work. First time buyers are scarce and you need to woo them!

janmoomoo Sun 17-Jul-11 22:38:34

No I wouldnt be put off either. But get a quote for skim plastering, it shouldnt be too much. Then you can either get it done or present potential buyers with the quote so they know what they are facing.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 17-Jul-11 22:40:09

Yes it would.

Tommy Sun 17-Jul-11 22:41:47

not at all - I took off the artex in my first house with a wall paper steamer.
Agree that people may think it is a lot of work though

michglas Sun 17-Jul-11 22:41:53

We bought a house 12 years ago after one viewing. On the day we moved on, we both said 'how the fuck did we not notice that artex'. Most of the rooms have varying degrees on the artex and ceilings, but we didn't notice because we were enchanted by the size of the house. I always wanted a victorian 3-bed house with big high ceilings, so I would have probably put up with a lot to get it. We are currently removing it ourselves room by room, as some of it is too thick to skin over and tradesmen won't touch it without charging a fortune for removal, as artex is known to contain asbestos.

Ponks Sun 17-Jul-11 22:56:43

It would put me off as a first time buyer. Still puts me off and would try very hard not to buy anything with artex BUT having said that what did we buy but a wreck with inexpertly applied artex covering every wall. It is so awful it nearly made me cry but thank goodness we are having every wall skimmed (or boarded then skimmed). Its a huge amount of work and mess to get rid of it all.

DoesBuggerAll Sun 17-Jul-11 23:42:03

As someone mentioned earlier, artex may contain asbestos. Do not attempt to remove it without getting advice. The best option is to skim over it where possible. We had it in one bedroom (now skimmed) and also in the lounge. I hate it. It wouldn't put me off buying but it would knock a bit off what I would offer.

TheFarSide Sun 17-Jul-11 23:53:07

We did buy a house with loads of artex, all over the walls and ceilings downstairs and in the upstairs hall - and artex with big spikes too - because in every other way the house met our criteria.

We lived with the artex for 10 years, then last year we had the whole lot skimmed for £2k. It was a fairly major upheaval and pretty messy - skirting boards had to come off, carpets couldn't be saved, it took a week to dry and ages to paint as it needed 3 coats, etc, etc. But it looks fab.

So, I guess you will improve your chances of selling if you get it skimmed, but if you can't cope with the mess you might have to wait longer for a buyer, but someone will probably go for it eventually if they like the rest of your house.

SlinkyB Mon 18-Jul-11 20:51:47

Thanks for all your comments - very helpful. Think we may get a couple of quotes and go from there.

fapl Mon 18-Jul-11 22:51:56

The majority of people would not want to live with artex. The problem is 1st time buyers need such a large deposit these days they have no money left for renovations so need to buy something they can live with for a few years while they save up a bit. In the old days of 125% mortgages, 1st time buyers could buy a place that needed work and have the money to do it up immediately. Not any more.

PelvicFloorOfSteel Mon 18-Jul-11 22:58:16

I think artex might well worry a buyer because it's known as a way to conceal other faults. I'm not an expert but I reckon you'd lose less money by getting it removed/skimmed than by reducing your asking price to allow for the buyer getting the work done.

Are other houses in the same area selling more quickly? Although artex is never going to help, there may be other reasons it's not selling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now