Advanced search

Bathroom extractor fan

(5 Posts)
GreatGooglyMoogly Sat 09-Jul-11 10:39:54

We really need an extractor fan in the bathroom as the windows aren't enough to dry the room out after a shower. Am I right in thinking that extractor fans need to vent to outside? Does that mean that they can't be in the ceiling as that goes into the loft? I thought most people's extractor fans were in the ceiling though confused.

Also, can anyone recommend a make and model? Preferably quick/ efficient at extracting but not too noisy! TIA.

lalalonglegs Sat 09-Jul-11 15:21:53

Definitely need to vent to the outside (otherwise you just end up with a very damp loft) - I'm not aware of any that are designed to capture the moisture in any way, but am prepared to be corrected. Although they are generally fitted in the ceiling, the ducting is then run horizontally through the ceiling void to an outside wall or it can go through the loft to the roof. Vent-Axia are the most common ones and they have a wide range of sizes and power.

SozyDod Sat 09-Jul-11 16:09:05

Generally, you would have them in your ceiling and then have ducting in your loft to an outside vent. You have to take into account the length of the ducting too as some ceiling mounted extrators fans can only push air a maximum of 3m through ducting. Better to have an in-line fan in the loft IMO, as they can be more powerful, there's less noise and the fitting on your bathroom ceiling is often more aesthetically pleasing. Also, fit it over your main source of hot air - usually your shower. Baths don't tend to produce as much as showers IMO.

GreatGooglyMoogly Sun 10-Jul-11 08:32:25

Thanks both - that makes much more sense!

SozyDod, what is an in-line fan (compared to a normal extractor fan)?

GnomeDePlume Sun 10-Jul-11 21:53:33

In line means that the fan is in the middle of the ducting rather than at the start of the ducting.

There are loads of models of fan (take a look at Screwfix). If the fan is in the bathroom (ie the power is in the wall/ceiling in the bathroom) then this should be done by a Part P electrician (its notifiable for building regs).

The easiest thing is to go through the wall to outside.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: