Talk

Advanced search

Haggling on rental payments?

(9 Posts)
OhWesternWind Thu 07-Jul-11 12:55:17

Is this the done thing? Or is it a fixed price unlike buying a house? Sorry for what is probably a daft question but I have not rented since my student days and now I'm looking for a family house to rent. Have seen a lovely one but it's slightly outside our budget. Do you think if I offered to stay for a longer term they might take a reduction in the rent?

CointreauVersial Thu 07-Jul-11 13:00:05

It's certainly worth a try, no harm in asking, as rents are often negotiable, like buying a house.

You are more likely to succeed if it's been vacant for a while or the landlord needs a tenant quickly, and isn't too "greedy". I agree signing a longer lease might help your case!

I negotiated my rent down once, but I was already living there so had proved myself a good tenant. I told my landlord I was moving out as I needed to economise (it was quite pricy) and he immediately offered to substatially cut the rent. I think he felt it was too much hassle to find someone else.

Mandy21 Thu 07-Jul-11 13:13:03

Definitely worth haggling if you're prepared to stay longer. For the landlord, they don't have to worry about having the house unoccupied (obviously no rent) and doing all the leaving checks (making sure its cleaned / checking the inventory etc) and new tenant checks.

We found a house we wanted to rent (for a family house) about 3 yrs ago, it had been empty a couple of weeks and it was a bad time of year (we were looking to move in on New Years Day!). It was advertised on a 6 month rental for £1150. We offered £1000 saying we wanted at least a 12 month tenancy. They came back with £1100 but we stuck to our guns and said we were only prepared to pay £1000, on the basis we were long term tenants and the house would potentially be empty for a few more weeks if he didn't accept. Came back a few minutes later agreeing it!

microserf Thu 07-Jul-11 14:26:39

we always negotiate on the lease, in sw london rents are typically advertised 5-10% more than what the landlord will accept. depends on how hot the local market is for renting though.

SirenSusan Thu 07-Jul-11 16:22:31

Say you'll make an offer - easier and sounds better than asking for a discount as such. Our landlord refused our offer and then we put forward reasons why she should take it - we were prepared to walk away...ended up saving £25 a month.

MrsSharp Thu 07-Jul-11 16:26:32

We're a landlord, and our tenants always negoatiate on rent. A longe term lease is definitely a plus point.

MoreBeta Thu 07-Jul-11 16:33:46

We got 10% off the rent on our current house but iit had been advertised for quite a long time. If the house you are targeting has only just come on the market they may not take a reduction straight away but still worth asking if you are offering a long lease.

By the way, if you are sure that you do want it for a year or more make sure your lease does not allow them to kick you out after 6 months. Had a few landlords promise us they want a long lease then refuse to give us more than a 6 month lease.

There are a lot of amateur landlords out there who are really intending to try to sell and in order to be able to move house thay rent out their property for a few months then tell the tenant they want to start viewings in order to sell it.

OhWesternWind Thu 07-Jul-11 21:12:46

Thanks everyone! It's on at £1100 so I am thinking of offering £1000, which I don't think is taking the mickey, if they will look at a long lease for 12 months. Wish me luck.

SleepySuzy Thu 07-Jul-11 21:16:01

We haggled for about 5% and won. Would have probably got more if we'd been more daring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now