Advanced search

cracks in external wall, should we be stressed?

(8 Posts)
BumptiousandBustly Tue 05-Jul-11 21:08:44

We have a 1927 semi, brick house with render on the top half of the house (i.e. first floor). We have just had the drive done, which has removed lots of trees/plants from the front drive and we can now see that there are cracks in the external front walls.

There is a hairline crack going from the edge of the front window down to the ground - this goes through bricks as well as through mortar. It is about 1 or 2 mm wide.

We can also see that there are various cracks in the render on the first floor - but obv can't see them very closely or tell if they go through to the brick work beyond.

We have been in the house for about 4 years and had a full structural survey done before we moved in.

Should we panic? Should we be getting it checked out? Do we call the insurance company? Do we get a structural surveyor?

Any advice, gratefully received.

Mammonite Tue 05-Jul-11 21:15:16

Can you say where you live (approx. town/part of country)?

Sounds like you have slight subsidence, did you dig up a lot of trees or were there heavy machines working on the driveway close to the house?

The cracks are small at the moment. Watch them and see if they get any bigger over the rest of the summer. If they do then you might want to contact a structural engineer. If not then fill them in and don't worry too much.

Mammonite Tue 05-Jul-11 21:17:18

Or look on here and tell us what the geology under your house is?

jenniec79 Tue 05-Jul-11 21:20:34

I worry a bit about DBoyf's flat - he has a gigantic crack in the hallway just outside his flat which you can see daylight through shock

Thankfully he's renting, but only moved into this place a little while back and the flat itself is gorgeous.

BumptiousandBustly Tue 05-Jul-11 21:20:37

I had a look - its clay, silt, sand and gravel. We have just had a new drive done, so the front drive has been dug up.

aseriouslyblondemoment Tue 05-Jul-11 21:28:58

tbh i wouldn't be unduly worried given the age of house as natural settlement does happen.
subsidence is a completely different kettle of fish.

dexter73 Tue 05-Jul-11 21:48:08

To put your mind at rest call the insurance company and they will send someone out to have a look.

Mammonite Wed 06-Jul-11 09:05:53

That doesn't sound too specific, did it give a name- Head, Alluvium? Doesn't like the sort of soil to give tree related subsidence. what was the bedrock?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: