Talk

Advanced search

Paint question, two in fact.

(5 Posts)
MarshaBrady Tue 05-Jul-11 09:41:26

Ok not riveting but do you know...

Can I put matt emulsion over the top of radiator paint. So adherence issue solved, but F&B say it should be eggshell. Much easier to do the final coat as estate emulsion. Can I?

Anyone painted cast iron fireplace. Egghell or matt emulsion Nearly Black (not in use for fires)

Decorator saying one thing, F&B the other, thanks

lalalonglegs Tue 05-Jul-11 10:26:49

I think it will blister and crack if you use matt emulsion.

Re: fireplace. I wouldn't use paint on it at all, I would use one of the special lead blacking products that you put on with a cloth and then polish off the excess.

GentleOtter Tue 05-Jul-11 10:30:10

Matt emulsion on a radiator goes funny after a short while and will eventually wipe off.

Stovax black grate polish is good for cast iron fireplaces and lasts for ages.

MarshaBrady Tue 05-Jul-11 10:36:07

ooh thank you lala and gentleotter that is excellent

PigletJohn Wed 06-Jul-11 23:09:36

emusion tends to soften with the heat, then dust and dirt stick to it and will not come off. Eggshell or satinwood are correct, and are also a bit more hardwearing so easier to keep clean. I have been using eggshell recently and find it a bit too flat for my taste. Don't use oil-based gloss, it will tend to crack.

BTW I don't like white on rads, it looks bad when it discolours. I prefer to match or tone with the wall colour. But it's your house, you choose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now