Talk

Advanced search

Anyone lived in a '70s house with electric ceiling panel heating?

(5 Posts)
Mandy2003 Mon 04-Jul-11 17:49:09

It seems that the developers of an estate local to me were sold a job lot of this, basically they're like mini storage heaters, a panel filled with wires that lives behind the ceiling plasterboard.

My father is interested in buying a property there, but I am wondering if anyone has had experience of this heating system and could say if it is good or bad?

Zimm Mon 04-Jul-11 20:27:42

Awful! heat rises so your downstairs is freezing - friend had a ground floor flat with this.

Mandy2003 Mon 04-Jul-11 21:44:12

So do you think having Economy 7 storage heaters fitted downstairs and not using the panels there would be a good idea? It's basically 1 room with a hallway and kitchen so 2 heaters or 1 large and 1 small would probably be plenty?

There is no gas on the entire estate!

Lilymaid Mon 04-Jul-11 21:50:09

My uncle and aunt lived in a 1970s bungalow on an estate where the developers had put in ceiling heating. It used to amuse my practical father a great deal - he'd always been told that heat rose!
In lots of these houses, the ceiling heating broke down or was replaced by storage heaters or, where this was possible, by gas central heating.

PigletJohn Tue 05-Jul-11 00:25:49

electric heating costs about twice as much to run as gas

these ceiling panels seem to go wrong and be unfixable

I would not be keen

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now