Talk

Advanced search

Selling a house - Carpets and Curtains, F&F

(30 Posts)
PigletJohn Mon 04-Jul-11 10:51:28

Am selling family house shortly, it has mostly been redecorated in light neutral colours, ceilings have been replastered, lots of work done so it will be well-presented for sale, has a nice new kitchen etc. The agent suggested taking the old curtains down as it makes the rooms brighter and saves anyone taking a dislkike to them. A fashionable friend claims that no-one uses curtains these days anyway hmm

We were out ordering carpets at the weekend. In the past when we have bought or sold a house I have never bothered about carpets. They're not new, and they've been fitted to the room so are not worth worrying about. However these are going to be brand new and only used for the viewing days. Would it be abnormally mean to take up one from a large rectangular bedroom as I can have it relaid in our new house? Obviously this does not apply to hall, stairs, landing, bathroom etc which are also new, but have more detailed fitting so would not be reusable even if I wanted them (which I don't).

The kitchen is fitted, so I presume it has to stay, but it is one I chose because I particularly like the solid walnut doors and was rather expensive, I will be getting the same for the new house (it is a current Magnet line). I was wondering if I could swap out things like the pan drawers units which are about a thousand pounds each at list. On the one hand, I know whoever buys the house won't like our taste, and will rip stuff out and redo it to suit themselves, on the other hand the kitchen is (to my eye at least) very nice and cost me a lot. Maybe I could ask the buyers if they will be replacing it and, if so, offer to take it out and bung them a bit of cash? What do you think?

halfbabyhalfbiscuit Mon 04-Jul-11 11:11:31

We're buying at the moment and I have to say that I'd be put off by being told that you planned to take out some carpets and parts of the kitchen. I would assume that I'm buying what I see and that carpets and the kitchen are included. I think it's out-dated for sellers to even consider taking the odd bit of carpet as most people want matching throughout, especially if as you say, the interior is neutral.

I'd worry that the kitchen would look unfinished if you were swapping units around and would be hard to "match up" (even if I was told it was a current line) and that the bedroom carpet (assuming they are matching throughout) would also be hard to match up. Also, I'd be put off by the extra cost (and hassle) this would cause me.

You can of course take what you want, but if you plan to I'd make it very clear to the EA's at the outset that that is what you plan to do.

Lots of people seem to be having trouble selling in this market and you may be making things more difficult for yourself if you do this.

noddyholder Mon 04-Jul-11 11:13:23

No you need to leave it as is! They are buying the house as seen not once you have removed the bits you like? Would you remove the bits and then invite them round to re view it? I doubt it and if you did they would probably pull out!

halfbabyhalfbiscuit Mon 04-Jul-11 11:14:12

Oh - and if you do really want to do as you propose - definitely offer the cash (as some people may be handier that me, or as you say, want to re-arrange things).

Is there no way you can swap the kitchen units now (before it goes to the market) so that there is no confusion as to what the buyer is getting?

PigletJohn Mon 04-Jul-11 11:23:01

"Is there no way you can swap the kitchen units now (before it goes to the market) so that there is no confusion as to what the buyer is getting?"

Yes, I think that would be best. I can put in ordinary cupboards to match. The drawer units are under a breakfast bar which is separate from the wall units and undercounter units, so if I wanted, I could remove the breakfast bar or put it on chrome legs instead.

My question about the carpet arose because I heard of someone wanting to negotiate a separate price for carpets and curtains (i.e. they were working on the assumption that they were not included)

linspins Mon 04-Jul-11 12:45:52

When we bought our house, the sellers took with them all the solid wood laminate flooring from the hall and both main living rooms, leaving us with bare, splintery floorboards. I was 8 months pregnant, and had a 3 year old, and it was the middle of winter. We couldn't unpack or put out furniture until we'd had the floorboards sanded and varnished. I am still seething about it now.
So, if it was me, I would make sure that what you see, is what you get. By all means take out what you'd like for your new house, but do it before viewing.
Can you buy slightly cheaper carpets so that you're not bothered to take any?

noddyholder Mon 04-Jul-11 13:14:37

I can't believe you would take out teh kitchen units and replace with cheaper! You will have to remove worktop etc and possibly damage the walls/tiles and then re fit and pay for that. You should have fitted a cheaper kitchen if you can't afford to leave it. I have been buying and selling house renovations for years and have never heard the like shock

herhonesty Mon 04-Jul-11 13:22:47

this is mean and a little stupid. if you knew you were selling the house why did you put such expensive stuff in?

feckwit Mon 04-Jul-11 14:28:23

I think that anything you want to take, you should remove prior to putting up for sale. But bear in mind things may break as you remove them.

PigletJohn Mon 04-Jul-11 15:05:24

"You will have to remove worktop etc and possibly damage the walls/tiles and then re fit and pay for that."

No I won't.

I told you, it's a separate breakfast bar. If I want to I can take it away or put matching cupboards (without pan drawers) there before viewers come in.

sixtiesqueen Mon 04-Jul-11 17:51:17

Gosh I'm astonished!

We sold a beautiful house in January - left all carpets, curtains and blinds. Left the cooker, bookshelves that were fitted to the wall and replaced the extractor hood over the cooker as it had broken. We even left the pin board and wipe-clean wall organiser. The buyers paid us about £600 for cooker, curtains, blinds and shelves.

Some people take anything that's not going to cause structural damage if it's removed - I heard once that somebody took a fireplace! Really, the stuff you are talking about is highly unusual!

noddyholder Mon 04-Jul-11 17:54:02

Weird

halfbabyhalfbiscuit Mon 04-Jul-11 18:39:47

I find it a bit strange TBH too. Is it really worth the time (and effort) to be removing kitchen cupboards??

Seems really mean and if I'd put an offer in on your house to be told you'd be removing carpet/cupboards etc, I'd imagine that you were planning to strip the place and it would give me second thoughts about going ahead with the purchase.

PigletJohn Mon 04-Jul-11 22:48:27

FFS I only asked the questions.

Ponks Mon 04-Jul-11 23:29:21

I think its ok as long as you make it clear that the bedroom carpet isn't included. Not everyone wants the carpets that are in the house at the moment. When we bought our house the vendor indicated that she'd be taking one of the carpets - I was delighted. Unfortunately in the event she left it and a whole lot of other crap sad
Can understand where you are coming from re the kitchen units - but would have said best get them changed before you have any viewings just in case.

PigletJohn Mon 04-Jul-11 23:32:08

Thanks, Ponks, that is what I was thinking.

RollingInTheAisles Mon 04-Jul-11 23:38:36

If I was borderline about the house it would put me off as I would guess you might be difficult to deal with. If I did make an offer I'd adjust it down accordingly.

Why did you put the stuff in if you want to take it out? If the answer is to help sell the house then that probably answers the question of how reasonable it is to remove this stuff after the sale / offer.

PigletJohn Mon 04-Jul-11 23:52:27

Thanks Rolling.

You would not see the current breakfast bar; if I decide to take it with me I will either carry it out of the kitchen before you view, or swap the cabinets for matching ones without pan drawers before you view. It is not tiled in or fixed to a wall so I will not cause damage whichever I do.

Asd for the carpet I will say I had planned to take that single one with me and see if potential buyers mind. The rest of the house will not have anything taken.

The reason for my choices was that I was fitting it out to the style and quality I like, intending to carry on living there. As I say, my opinion is that whatever I put in, some buyers won't share my taste and will want to rip things out and change it.

RollingInTheAisles Tue 05-Jul-11 09:36:24

OK, I do understand what you're saying about carrying on living there. The thing is, when you buy a house, the perceived value of it usually includes the fixtures and fittings, especially if they're new / good condition. Even if a buyer would prefer a different style the existing fittings will likely still have a value to them as many people wouldn't be able to afford new carpet the minute they move into a house. Also, bear in mind your competition probably is not taking fixtures / fittings with them.

My recommendation would be that you take out anything you're taking before pictures and viewings so that's it's not a question. The problem is otherwise that it gives viewers the impression you might be difficult to deal with (even if you're not).

There's another thread on here at the moment that's coming from the other angle of this. Take a look and imagine you're the buyer in that instance and see what you'd think. Potential buyers won't know all your reasons and that you're a nice person and it might just ut them off, especially in this market.

RollingInTheAisles Tue 05-Jul-11 09:37:18

Sorry, just seen you intend to take before viewings.

chillistars Tue 05-Jul-11 09:41:33

I would make any changes like that before you put it on the market.
I have stripped a house before; when I was offered 35k less than the asking price I said I'd accept it but that NOTHING was included; not the cooker, dish washer, washing machine, carpets, curtains - anything.
They agreed. Later I heard that they had to replace the kitchen because they couldn't get units to fill the gaps because I'd gone to a local joiner who had gone out of business. As the units were pale blue wood they were not easy to match - bearing in mind this was 15 years ago.

Sesquipedality Fri 08-Jul-11 19:39:02

Def do/take anything before you go on the market. Why put carpet down if you're going to take it up? Just don't put it in that room, do the floorboards instead.

Could really sour the buying process and what you want in this climate - believe me - is a quick and easy sale.

Not the decent thing to do that's for sure. Still what goes around comes around an all that. I hope ... I hate a vast amount of bastard sellers with a vengeance and wish them bad karma every day. If only I did buy their house then I could not redirec their post and worse.

RetroHousewife Fri 08-Jul-11 19:46:24

Why not put down a cheap, neutral carpet and just leave it?
Taking carpets is a right royal PITA and would out me off as a buyer because I'd have to have one measured and fitted before I could put my furniture in.
When you are paying hundreds of thousands for a house, the least you can expect is carpet.

NigeltheFuckwit Fri 08-Jul-11 19:55:11

Happy to be corrected by any (qualified wink) legal bods but I think a fitted kitchen is indeed part of fixtures and fittings and would therefore be considered to be part of the sale. I don't think you would be doing anything wrong if you made it explicitly clear throughout the process that you were going to be removing bits of the kitchen but definitely better to go with your plan of swapping out before viewings as it could well be a real issue/deal breaker.

I don't think carpets are automatically included although many people make an offer to include them and/or they are usually left anyway as it would be a total PITA for everyone to be removing them.

I personally don't think you would be immoral etc to take a carpet as long as you were upfront about your plans from the start and couldn't be perceived to be playing on your buyer's naivity at any point but I do think it would be far more hassle than it's worth and could potentially put off many buyers.

I assume you are putting new carpets in to try to get a "top drawer, wouldn't have to do any work, just move straight in" price and quick sale. By fannying about with that you would probably lose far more than the price of one carpet! smile

BiscuitNibbler Fri 08-Jul-11 20:24:49

You have to do all the changes before the house is put on the market, otherwise I would assume you were the type to take every light bulb and door handle and wouldn't touch the house with a bargepole.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now