Talk

Advanced search

I'm not sure if this is the correct topic to be in but I'm trying to find out about hiring people to re tarmac my lane

(10 Posts)
TrinIsASadSpottyFatRhino Mon 04-Jul-11 10:32:08

I dont really even know where to start and how do I tell them what I want

as in I think I need it to be dug up and then harcore and then tarmac but I dont know if thats right or really of other ways you can do it either

heeeelp

TrinIsASadSpottyFatRhino Mon 04-Jul-11 10:33:42

I dont think I'm making much sense
I need to find out all about resurfacing and how to find people that do it

TrinIsASadSpottyFatRhino Mon 04-Jul-11 10:36:40

pretty please grin

TrinIsASadSpottyFatRhino Mon 04-Jul-11 10:48:19

<bumps around over hideous, pot holed, manky lane>

Bramshott Mon 04-Jul-11 10:53:35

It'll be expensive!

Tarmac is very pricey - you need a tarmac contractor. Cold asphalt would be cheaper - where they spread a layer of bitumen and then roll a layer of chippings on the top. But if there are actual potholes, and it's a rural-style lane could you not just chuck a bit of hardcore in them and then drive on top to compact them?

PigletJohn Mon 04-Jul-11 11:07:49

Not my area, but I'd suggest you ask on DIYnot.com

If I'm allowed to post a link (I am not trying to advertise) look at
http://search.diynot.com/forum_search.php?all=tarmac&phrase=&any=&not=&intitle=&forum_id=0&since=any&sortbytime=0&author=&search=Search+Forum&stype=0

and post your Q after reading a few. There are a lot of cowboys about. Never use any itinerant who knocks at your door and says he has half a load of blacktop left on the truck after overestimating and would you like a cash job. Always get a real-world address, telephone number (not just a mobile) and company name. Look up the name on the net. Ask him which local houses he has recently done, and go and look at them. Verify that the quoted price includes VAT, tree roots, moving drain covers, edging and "everything else." Don't pay until it is finished and you are satisfied. Pay any deposit on your credit card for some protection. Post your completion cheque to the address he gave you, made out to the company name on the quote and invoice (state you will be doing this before placing the order, and repeat it before work starts).

From what I've seen, you will normally need it dug out to about a foot, filled with crushed stone which is levelled with a vibrating plate, whacker or roller (not by hand), then a base and a finish topping. The contractor will (should) give you a specification which will state depths, MOT standards (the standards they work to are also used for roads and car parks) and you MUST watch and measure to see that they actually deliver and perform to spec - if it says "Excavate 300mm and lay 200mm of MOT1" then measure and examine. Cutting corners is where the cowboys make their money. Drive around your area and look at similar houses who have had driveways done, knock and ask the householder who they used, were they happy, would they recommend, what did it cost. Householders are usually very willing to slag off a cowboy or praise a good firm.

I don't like tarmac myself, but the people who do recommend a paving-brick border all the way round it, laid on concrete, and white granite specks rolled onto the top layer of blacktop for appearance. If there is no edging it will squash and spread sideways. Be sure it is laid to a good fall so water will run off to a drain. Think of any plumbing, drains or electrical work you might want dug before the new drive is laid.

PigletJohn Mon 04-Jul-11 11:14:34

p.s. you mention pot-holes. These are usually saucer shape. If you put filling into them, it tends to come out. They have to be dug to square-sided holes and patched, even if you are just whacking crushed stone into them. Crushed stone consolidates well, hard-core does not.

Sorry, for some reason I thought you were talking about a drive not a lane. If it does not have curbs, the edges will spread out and go thin (like rolling pastry) from sun and traffic, but if the lane is long, it may be cheaper to repair the edges every few years than to lay curbs or edging.

A proper contractor will have a selection of standards to work to which will include lanes; he will have all the different specifications in a book or on a computer and (if articulate) can explain which one is right for you.

TrinIsASadSpottyFatRhino Mon 04-Jul-11 12:30:31

thankyou very much pigletjoghn,

lots and lots of stuff to work on there, thankyou

DOLLYDAYDREAMER Mon 04-Jul-11 19:44:46

HI - WE LIVE ON A UNMADE ROAD - IT WAS TERRIBLE WHEN WE MOVED IN WITH HUGE POTHOLES ALWAYS FULL OF WATER - PEOPLE HAD TRUED TO FILL IN WITH STONES & BRICKS BUT DID NOT HELP - WE CONTACTED A FEW DRIVEWAY CONTRACTORS - SOME ARE EXPERIENCED IN LANES - FARM TRACKS ETC. OURS DID THE DIGGING OUT THE HOLES & FILL WITH CRUSHED STONE AS MENTIONED ABOVE - THEN FINISHED OFF THE TOP WITH WHAT I THINK THEY CALL SCALPINGS - THATS THE TARMAC THEY SCRAPE OFF ROADS WHEN THEY ARE RESURFACING THEM - THIS WAS THEN ROLLED TO MAKE IF FLAT-ISH - AS TIME GOES ON IT ALL CONSOLIDATES - ITS NOT LIKE A PROPER TARMAC ROAD BUT COSTS MUCH LESS & SO MUCH BETTER THAN BEFORE.

Pendeen Tue 05-Jul-11 08:20:14

These nice people are your guide to the wonderful world of landscapes and surfacing:

Paving Expert

Best of luck! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now