Talk

Advanced search

BOREHOLE EXPERIENCES...please can you share yours with me?

(6 Posts)
LittlePushka Sun 03-Jul-11 23:31:41

If anybody has commissioned a borehole for ground water abstraction for their own use, or if you take your water from a borehole (not a spring), please would you let me have any tips or advice on the subject.

I would like to have an idea of the following things
1. what sort of costs you paid for the drilling and initial extraction apparatus
2. what sort of annual maintenance is required.
3. what sort of supply you have personally experienced.
4. have you encountered any serious problems caused by weather conditions(freezing or drought)or as a result of any particular mechanical system failure.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

(Just for information, I live in a very rural area with no prospect of mains water ever being available. The springwater supply to our house has been under stress for some time and being on the end of a long line of properties supplies we are increasingly having days and days of no water in summer (almost 2 weeks last year), are the first house to lose it the last one to get it back. We know that the problem is over use of the available supply rather than leakage in the infrastructure)

LittlePushka Mon 04-Jul-11 17:09:55

Bump for the daytime crew

LittlePushka Mon 04-Jul-11 21:30:35

Bump for backshift coming home.

Rachie01 Tue 05-Jul-11 13:09:12

Hi LittlePushka, we had a borehole installed a couple of years ago so I'll try my best to answer your questions:

1. We paid £8000 for the borehole to be drilled and all the pump equipment to be installed, but I know we had a survey done before the borehole was drilled, so I think the cost depends on your area and geology.
2. Every year we get the pump inspected for wear and tear, which costs about £200.
3. Our borehole was tested when it was first installed and it provides about 2000 litres a day, but it depends on the recharge rate of the borehole.
4. We haven't had any problems even during the extreme weather last winter, but Geologic Boreholes, the company who installed our borehole made sure all the outside pipes were well insulated.

Hope this helps...

LittlePushka Tue 05-Jul-11 20:45:55

Thank you Rachie, that is really helpful.- can I just ask you a question? What sort of housing do you have over the hole and pump installation, does your service cost include lab. testing and is it serviced by the same company which installed it?

LittlePushka Tue 05-Jul-11 21:08:50

PS Rachie, Do you store any of your pumped water in an external tank before it comes into your house?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now