Talk

Advanced search

What colour walls to go with pepperminty/sage kitchen units?

(12 Posts)
linspins Sun 03-Jul-11 10:08:29

Hello! I've just had a new kitchen fitted and the units are called sage green but actually they are a bit pepperminty...as in the green is a blue tinge rather than a yellowy one. I need a pale colour to go on the walls and was thinking cream, but it would need to be one that is bluey/greyey toned rather than yellowy cream. Anyone know a nice one? I'm not brave enough to go with grey itself. Or maybe a beigey colour....? Help!

noddyholder Sun 03-Jul-11 16:01:30

What colour are the worktops?

mitfordsisters Sun 03-Jul-11 21:21:56

I would go for a complementary colour - eg one from the opposite side of the colour spectrum - will make both colours zing - therefore I'm thinking apricot.

Selks Sun 03-Jul-11 21:29:19

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines, Mitfordsisters, but not a pastelly apricot, something with earthy or burnt orange tones, or a warm sandy shade.

linspins Sun 03-Jul-11 22:32:41

Never thought of apricot!
The work surfaces are oak, and the floor a pale stone-look Amtico.
I wonder though if something earthy might be too dark for the room. It's had two coats of white over the bare plaster, but that looks too stark and bleak so far.

noddyholder Sun 03-Jul-11 22:39:16

I would stick with a white personally. Apricot would look dated I think. The colour wheel thing has always bemused me tbh I have never used it for any design scheme. Go for a white shade and try a few testers.Def stay grey not yellow/cream.

noddyholder Sun 03-Jul-11 22:40:54

The first white on new plaster does look stark A top coat of farrow and ball which has a high pigment would eliminate that.Great white?

nakedandangry Mon 04-Jul-11 00:33:33

I would suggest farrow and ball Clunch or a bit paler still, Slipper Satin. They are good cool neutrals and very classy.

linspins Mon 04-Jul-11 18:36:21

I've got some farrow and ball Lime White left over from our bedroom, and painted a bit near the kitchen cabinets. It's the right sort of colour but too dark. Will have to get a F and B colour chart to see what is like it but lighter. Then I can check out the suggestions above too, thanks. Wondering if we need a special kitchen paint though...

teta Mon 04-Jul-11 18:49:45

I have peppermint blue [dix blue colour match ] on my dining room chairs with strong white on the walls and skimming stone and elephants breath on the units.All of these colours go with blue/green.I have colour matched them all with Dulux Diamond matte emulsion or eggshell as i wanted a really hard-wearing finish [as have 4 dc's and new puppy and lots of visitors!].I am really happy with the colours and finish [no different to f&b modern emulsion and colour 'complexity' is still the same.

linspins Mon 04-Jul-11 19:39:05

I just love all the weird F and B names! Elephants breath confused

teta Mon 04-Jul-11 23:12:05

I know,but the colours and names are so appealing and instantly recognisable as being F&B.The other heritage paint ranges i can't take to as either the colours are not as nice,or there are too many colours or the website is muddled.I hope you find the colour that you need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now