Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen floor - what colour?

(9 Posts)
Canella Sat 02-Jul-11 08:06:02

Have ordered our new fitted kitchen - the bottom cupboards will be stone grey, the top cupboards on one side will be have milk glass fronts and on the other side (only 2 cupboards) are a very very light grey. The worktop is black granite. We're keeping the walls white and its a really light room but the question is what colour should the floor be?

We want to put tiles down - we've got underfloor heating so i'm not worried about it being cold. Is another grey just a bit too much grey? But will dark ones not drain the light?

Any ideas?

AllThreeWays Sat 02-Jul-11 08:26:07

I am a fan of slate grey on kitchen floors, but terracotta would go well I think

Jemma1111 Sat 02-Jul-11 08:30:49

I have black worktops and a black tiled floor, they go really well together.
My floor doesn't drain the light but maybe it depends on the size of the kitchen.

catinthehat2 Sat 02-Jul-11 09:02:45

if there is any grouting involved, under NO circumstances have it white.

SirenSusan Sat 02-Jul-11 09:43:10

I think a wood-look tile would be fantastic - try Fired Earth or Porcelanosa for examples but you can find them much cheaper elsewhere.

Canella Sat 02-Jul-11 19:02:43

Thanks for those suggestions! Will heed your advice catinthehat2 - any particular reason?

catinthehat2 Sat 02-Jul-11 20:12:31

<sob>
previous owners had white grout for apricotish hmm kitchen floor tiles
whatever washes easily from the tiles, soaks into the grout.
gradually the grout gets mankier and mankier and is impossible to get clean/keep clean
but they tiled another room, olive coloured tiles, and looks like they mixed the grout to match, and it looks mighty fine.

mathanxiety Sun 03-Jul-11 06:35:42

Dark red/terracotta would be fabulous with the grey and black, and add a warm tone. Or a nice warm/medium-stained wood floor to balance the grey and add a natural element. No white grout! An aunt of mine had terracotta tiles with the same colour grout in her 1920s Bauhaus style house kitchen and it was lovely.

Canella Fri 08-Jul-11 20:54:11

We've gone for some slate colour tiles. Just couldnt find some terracotta ones that we liked (altho i loved the idea!)

Thanks for all the help.

Now if someone could just help us pull up the 20 yr old cork tiles ..,,,,,,,,,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now