Talk

Advanced search

would an ensuite add value

(15 Posts)
kbaby Fri 01-Jul-11 21:50:16

We are extending our upstairs as currently we have 4 bedrooms but no bathroom, our main bathroom is downstairs. The architect has drawn plans up for us and the best use of space creates 3 double bedrooms and a bathroom. The bathroom will be 10*10 ft which so she is splitting into ensuite and bathroom. At the moment I don't think we need an ensuite as we will still have a bathroom downstairs and I would prefer instead of the ensuite use the room for a bigger bedroom. However I don't want to be short sighted and then regret it.
The other thing is I would like a big master bedroom but to do this we would have to make one room a single so 8*8. What do you think is better 3 double rooms all approx 10*11 or 1 large master 11 * 15, 1 double 10 *12 and 1 single

What do you all think

CristinaTheAstonishing Fri 01-Jul-11 22:05:34

As a buyer I'd prefer 3 doubles (or 3 decent sized bedrooms).

SirenSusan Sat 02-Jul-11 09:50:07

Bit confused by your post but will give you my preference which is 3 doubles and 2 bathrooms - I mean 2 showering areas. Better to have a shared bathroom than an en suite. But I wouldn't consider buying a house with only one showering area without a plan to modify it.

cybboid Sat 02-Jul-11 09:55:20

Can you not have a bathroom upstairs with its own access?

If not, 3 beds and an ensuite best option IMO

Cant stand downstairs bathrooms

tranquilgardens Sat 02-Jul-11 15:54:00

I would have two bedrooms of a decent double size, one slightly smaller to be used for a child or study, and a lovely big master suite with a dressing area or walk in walldrobe and ensuite. At the end of the day the buyers will want a lovely bedroom for themselves.

kbaby Sun 03-Jul-11 12:13:54

Sorry I may have rambled on too much.

In short we will still have a bathroom downstairs but our options are 3 good size bedrooms all approx 11 ft square, one ensuite and 1 family bathroom
or
1 big master with dressing room, 1 good size room, 1 smaller bedroom and family bathroom.

kbaby Sun 03-Jul-11 12:16:37

Sorry should say. In either option we will still have a downstairs bathroom too.

berries Sun 03-Jul-11 12:20:34

3 decent bedrooms. As a single parent of 2 teenagers finding somewhere with 3 bedrooms all big enough for bed, wardrobe and still enough room to move was a nightmare.

tranquilgardens Sun 03-Jul-11 13:50:21

I big master and dressing room/ensuite, and 2 good sized bedrooms if it was me! you have a main bathrooom downstairs and an ensure upstairs that should be enought if you are caught in the middle of the night or ill.

SlackSally Sun 03-Jul-11 15:26:16

'I wouldn't consider buying a house with only one showering area'

I swear I live on a different planet to some people.

Karbea Sun 03-Jul-11 18:09:16

I would definitely suggest having an ensuite bathroom.

Parietal Sun 03-Jul-11 19:09:18

I'd go with the architects plan. More flexible & sellable.

tranquilgardens Sun 03-Jul-11 19:34:07

Just a thought, could you have two doors into your ensuite, one from the main bedroom, and one from the hall? so you get two doubles and a big main bedroom?

kbaby Mon 04-Jul-11 18:46:08

Tranquilgardens, that's what I'm thinking, the sloping ceilings mean that the kids rooms may be 10*11ft but actually will have less useable space. I think the room a ensuite would take would be better used to make the bedrooms bigger and we could out 2 doors in as suggested.

kbaby Mon 04-Jul-11 18:46:51

Sorry put not out,

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: