Talk

Advanced search

would an ensuite add value

(15 Posts)
kbaby Fri 01-Jul-11 21:50:16

We are extending our upstairs as currently we have 4 bedrooms but no bathroom, our main bathroom is downstairs. The architect has drawn plans up for us and the best use of space creates 3 double bedrooms and a bathroom. The bathroom will be 10*10 ft which so she is splitting into ensuite and bathroom. At the moment I don't think we need an ensuite as we will still have a bathroom downstairs and I would prefer instead of the ensuite use the room for a bigger bedroom. However I don't want to be short sighted and then regret it.
The other thing is I would like a big master bedroom but to do this we would have to make one room a single so 8*8. What do you think is better 3 double rooms all approx 10*11 or 1 large master 11 * 15, 1 double 10 *12 and 1 single

What do you all think

CristinaTheAstonishing Fri 01-Jul-11 22:05:34

As a buyer I'd prefer 3 doubles (or 3 decent sized bedrooms).

SirenSusan Sat 02-Jul-11 09:50:07

Bit confused by your post but will give you my preference which is 3 doubles and 2 bathrooms - I mean 2 showering areas. Better to have a shared bathroom than an en suite. But I wouldn't consider buying a house with only one showering area without a plan to modify it.

cybboid Sat 02-Jul-11 09:55:20

Can you not have a bathroom upstairs with its own access?

If not, 3 beds and an ensuite best option IMO

Cant stand downstairs bathrooms

tranquilgardens Sat 02-Jul-11 15:54:00

I would have two bedrooms of a decent double size, one slightly smaller to be used for a child or study, and a lovely big master suite with a dressing area or walk in walldrobe and ensuite. At the end of the day the buyers will want a lovely bedroom for themselves.

kbaby Sun 03-Jul-11 12:13:54

Sorry I may have rambled on too much.

In short we will still have a bathroom downstairs but our options are 3 good size bedrooms all approx 11 ft square, one ensuite and 1 family bathroom
or
1 big master with dressing room, 1 good size room, 1 smaller bedroom and family bathroom.

kbaby Sun 03-Jul-11 12:16:37

Sorry should say. In either option we will still have a downstairs bathroom too.

berries Sun 03-Jul-11 12:20:34

3 decent bedrooms. As a single parent of 2 teenagers finding somewhere with 3 bedrooms all big enough for bed, wardrobe and still enough room to move was a nightmare.

tranquilgardens Sun 03-Jul-11 13:50:21

I big master and dressing room/ensuite, and 2 good sized bedrooms if it was me! you have a main bathrooom downstairs and an ensure upstairs that should be enought if you are caught in the middle of the night or ill.

SlackSally Sun 03-Jul-11 15:26:16

'I wouldn't consider buying a house with only one showering area'

I swear I live on a different planet to some people.

Karbea Sun 03-Jul-11 18:09:16

I would definitely suggest having an ensuite bathroom.

Parietal Sun 03-Jul-11 19:09:18

I'd go with the architects plan. More flexible & sellable.

tranquilgardens Sun 03-Jul-11 19:34:07

Just a thought, could you have two doors into your ensuite, one from the main bedroom, and one from the hall? so you get two doubles and a big main bedroom?

kbaby Mon 04-Jul-11 18:46:08

Tranquilgardens, that's what I'm thinking, the sloping ceilings mean that the kids rooms may be 10*11ft but actually will have less useable space. I think the room a ensuite would take would be better used to make the bedrooms bigger and we could out 2 doors in as suggested.

kbaby Mon 04-Jul-11 18:46:51

Sorry put not out,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now