Talk

Advanced search

Maths question - how do I measure whether the sofa will fit down the hall.

(5 Posts)
messybessie Fri 01-Jul-11 11:54:56

Our hall is 77cm wide and doorways are also 77cm.

Sofa is 88cm high but legs do come off. Once, I've checked how big the legs are and that it will fit down the hall, will I still need a turning circle (it's 1m wide) It will fit through the door end up.

confused

kbaby Fri 01-Jul-11 19:12:24

You will need to work out what angle is needed to fit in the living room door and then measures the width of the angle

Panzee Fri 01-Jul-11 19:14:50

Pivot!!!!

(sorry)

chocolateteabag Fri 01-Jul-11 22:10:08

You'll need a friend for this:
Make up 2 templates of the sofa height & depth minus legs (try sheets of newspaper with cardboard to stiffen if you don't have any big boxes) then attach them with sellotape stretched the length of the sofa. Basically you are making the sofa "shape"
Between you hold the two templates so the sellotape on each corner is taut and see if you can get it down the hall.

Hope that makes sense.

How helpful is the shop where you are buying it from? Can they come and take a look? or can you draw the dimensions of the hall for them?

Maryz Fri 01-Jul-11 22:21:51

You can make up templates, you can mock-up the sofa in a million different ways. But ultimately, the only way to be sure it will fit is to buy it grin.

And you can be sure it will be 5 mm too wide at one point or another sad.

Seriously, though, the most useful measurement is a diagonal one. So you need to measure diagonally from the top of the back to the bottom of the front. If that is less than the width of the hall, and the length of the sofa is less than the height of the doors, you should (hopefully) be ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now