Advanced search

Bad homebuyers survey results...wwyd?

(33 Posts)
Becaroooo Thu 30-Jun-11 18:32:26

We have had the survery results today and they are not great....we knew there were some issues - the current owners are not DIYers!!! but the survery shows issues with;
the fuse board
the gas meter
some door frames
cracks under window frames
ill fitting windows
kitchen finished to very poor standard (eg: floor tiles not grouted, pipes not boxed in etc)
stud wall in upstairs hall needs replacing
leak in bathroom which has affected the stair wall


We are pulling out BUT our buyer is a no chain cash buyer who is expecting to move in here 4 weeks tomorrow!!

We need to find a new house, but til then what??? Even if our buyer wold wait til end august, its still not long enough to complete on a new sale.

Renting seems the obvious choice but how long do you have to sign for? We would be looking at a short term lease (3-6 months) Do you have to pay a deposit??!!!!!!!!

thisisyesterday Thu 30-Jun-11 18:34:06

would you be willing to have the house if they reduced the price?
tht would surely be the best outcome?

Becaroooo Thu 30-Jun-11 18:35:16

Not really.....I cant face it. Have done all that here (new kitchen, new bathroom etc) and they have already reduced the price as much as they can.

ThunderboltKid Thu 30-Jun-11 18:36:41

Really, your pulling out? None of that would concern me at all. I probably wouldnt even bother fact, its much better than our survey!

Surveyors always find something, lots of what they find doesn't actually need doing; they are covering their back.

lachesis Thu 30-Jun-11 18:37:22

Rent for 6 months.

Becaroooo Thu 30-Jun-11 18:38:17

hmmm...the kitchen isnt great considering its new tbh

The wall is REALLY dodgy and is affecting the landing ceiling.

The bathroom is a nightmare - and thats before we knew about the leak!

sigh. We have no left over money to put this stuff right sad

Becaroooo Thu 30-Jun-11 18:38:52

lachesis Thats what I want to me convince dh!!!!!!

lachesis Thu 30-Jun-11 18:39:40

If you rent for 6 months you'll be buying at a time when prices tend to be lower.

Becaroooo Thu 30-Jun-11 18:42:55

hmmm...thats what I am wondering tbh....the market may well go down further too by then?

Feel really bad for vendors but we simply cannot afford to put all that right

SoupDragon Thu 30-Jun-11 18:46:14

None of that sounds very bad at all.

lachesis Thu 30-Jun-11 18:47:25

It's bad if you have no cash at all whatsoever left over.

stressheaderic Thu 30-Jun-11 18:51:17

Nothing there as bad as what turned up on ours. Suggested we needed new roof, wiring, dampcourse, gutters etc etc etc....have done none of those things and been here 6 years and very happy!

ThunderboltKid Thu 30-Jun-11 18:51:51

Can't you ask sellers to rectify the more urgent issues?

SparklePrincess Thu 30-Jun-11 18:54:46

Sounds like you have no option but to take out a 6 month tenancy. You will need at least a months rent up front & a months deposit though, so at least 1500, (or more, depending on where you live) plus moving costs. Its not an ideal scenario. sad

ThunderboltKid Thu 30-Jun-11 19:02:06

Also, check the situation with your mortgage company.

When we sell our place we have to pay £9k redemption fee. We only get this back if we complete on a new house in 12 weeks (plus, it takes 2 weeks after completion to get it back so you can't use it on the purchase!)

Becaroooo Thu 30-Jun-11 19:23:32

Also, survery brought the house in valued at £5k lower than we are paying.

Our mortgage redemption fee will be £2k (not sure about the completing in 12 weeks that all mortgage providers???).

A months rent and deposit would be £1500 in our area.

Sellers have had work done and - tbh - its all bad. I wouldnt want them doing it....he gets his "mate" to do all the work and frankly it shows!!!


I dont expect a house to need no work, but new walls and a new bathroom straight away??? And rectifying all their dodgy DIY?

Question: If you were selling a house, would you make sure the kitchen floor tiles were grouted????? Perhaps IABU!!!!

Becaroooo Thu 30-Jun-11 19:24:15

lachesis Not enough for new walls and a new bathroom!!! sad

ThunderboltKid Thu 30-Jun-11 19:28:15

Apparently my mortgage company (Santander) is one of the better ones...some don't even refund it!

Does sound like you've already talked yourself out of this house which case you should just walk away.

Talk to your buyer, they might wait until the end of August. We've managed to find, and almost exchange and complete within 4 weeks on our house. It's been stressful, but helps in you have a really good solicitor!

mylovelymonster Thu 30-Jun-11 19:33:49


Glad to get that out my system. Rent. You will find something else to buy and you will be in the best position from which to offer.
Trust your gut feeling.

bigbadbarry Thu 30-Jun-11 19:35:26

Well if it was me I'd want a substantial reduction but expect to go ahead. (that isn't helpful given that you have ruled that out, is it?!) But your buyer has already invested in your property - survey, solicitors, etc, so even though they are expecting to move in 4 weeks they might just have to accept that these things happen and hang on a bit longer.

Becaroooo Thu 30-Jun-11 19:36:21

Thanks mylovelymonster I will!

thunderboltkid Wow! 4 weeks...that gives me hope! thing is, we will be be in a really good position to buy..i.e. no chain, mortgage offer agreed etc....there are plenty more houses to look at...just need to convince dh renting is not so bad!!!

mylovelymonster Thu 30-Jun-11 19:41:48

You could, if you still wanted the house, get a builder in to quote for what needs putting right and renegotiate to allow you funds to do the work, but sounds as though your vendor would not be able to take that hit, so overall sounds like a no-go to me.
If there is stuff that seems botched then likely to be further issues not apparent on simple survey, and it would raise big red flags for me.

Becaroooo Thu 30-Jun-11 19:48:03

yeah....its worrying me tbh....there were lots of little niggly things that needed doing, but hey! they have 2 young children and little time, like me so I could deal with that but they other stuff...have also found out who did the original work to the house (in the 1980s) and he is a complete cowboy builder!

Think we may have dodged a money pit tbh

Becaroooo Thu 30-Jun-11 19:50:51

Thing is...I can make a nice home for us wherever we end up buying (you should have see this place 12 years ago!!!) so cant really understand dh's attitude.....I will make it work for us.

mylovelymonster Thu 30-Jun-11 21:07:15

Sounds well worth avoiding. You will find something else. Best of luck to you x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: