Talk

Advanced search

I think I'm going slowly mad.........(sorry long)

(10 Posts)
hksi Wed 29-Jun-11 16:52:32

We found a house which we wanted to buy in February, when we had just gone on the market. Ours sold within 4 weeks and the one we liked was still avaliable - couldn't believe our luck! Made an offer and after a bit of negotiating agreed on a price. They hadn't found anywhere to go so were happy to stay with family after the sale had gone through. Survey done within a few days, mortgage offer within a week, searches sent and came back etc etc. Forward 2 months and our sellers found a house they liked and made an offer. Estate agent checked the chain and found it had broken 2 weeks before!!! We went back on the market and our sellers agreed to give us a month to try to resell. Sold within 3 weeks to a buy to let for same price - very happy!! Forward 4 weeks - no survey has been done on ours, took 3 weeks before our buyers solicitor contacted our solicitor so draft papers could be sent down. Final straw buyer has to change solicitor as she was using the same one as us (but different office) and her mortgage company won't allow it. Buyer is now deciding who to go with and I'm so stressed. 2 months until my 3rd child (have 4 dc) starts school and my eldest starts secondary. Oh and mortgage offer runs out.What can I do to get something to happen.........and breath!!!! (Not relocating btw)

lalalonglegs Wed 29-Jun-11 19:13:09

First contact the mortgage company and see if you can extend since you are under offer. Second, get onto the estate agent to put a rocket up buyer's arse. Third, get him to start showing other people round as, I hate to say it, this buyer may not be that serious sad.

hksi Wed 29-Jun-11 19:23:36

Thanks for your reply. We've told the estate agent that the buyer has 2 weeks to have a survey booked and for her new solicitor to contact ours or we pull out. We're not going to try to sell again - fate will be trying to tell us something!! Plan to do a few cheap bits here, remortgage onto a better rate and overpay on our mortgage then try again in 2-3 years time. Lets see what the next 2 weeks brings or doesn't!

SparklePrincess Wed 29-Jun-11 20:55:27

Id be more inclined to say if the surveys not been completed & your solicitor is not in receipt of draft contract in 2 weeks then you're pulling the plug. If that was me after 2 weeks of the offer if id not heard that a survey was at least booked alarm bells would be ringing! Makes you wonder what on earth are they playing at! Perhaps they're trying to run 2 properties at the same time or hedging their bets in case something else comes along. Its not unheard of im afraid. sad

narmada Wed 29-Jun-11 21:00:01

Think you're being generous giving them two weeks to get the survey booked, and to get a new solicitor! Hope it sorts itself out though.

hksi Wed 29-Jun-11 21:08:20

The thinking is that 2 weeks is plenty of time for these things to happen so if they don't it can't be blamed on lack of time. Feeling sad but least it will go one way or the other now!

hksi Thu 30-Jun-11 15:30:12

Hurrah, hurrah!!! Survey has been booked. One down, one to go........

SparklePrincess Thu 30-Jun-11 18:25:42

Cool. smile

hksi Fri 01-Jul-11 17:18:52

Buyers new solicitors have written to our solicitors! We're back on. Funny how quickly things move when pressure is added!

SparklePrincess Mon 04-Jul-11 00:05:04

Fingers crossed for you. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now