Talk

Advanced search

Help with paint colours for woodwork (nice neutral) - what do you have?

(6 Posts)
KateMiddletonsEyebrows Wed 29-Jun-11 14:34:53

We're renovating and the people who are refurbishing our sash windows need a decision now about what colour to paint the insides. We haven't even started the rest of the house yet, as the windows are being done first. I sort of thought that decisions about colour could wait a bit, but it seems not...

Anyway, I really need some suggestions for neutral colours that look good on paintwork. We currently have F&B new white www.farrow-ball.com/new-white/colours//fcp-product/100059, which is lovely but it was on the walls and paintwork when we got here six years ago, and I fancy a change. I find it a little too creamy/yellow.

We haven't really decided what colours to go for for interiors, so something fairly neutral would be good. I'm drawn to sagey greens and grey-blues so we'll probably go for those sort of colours.

Probably F&B colours or similar (though we might get cheaper versions for the walls).

What nice whites would work well on window frames and paintwork? What do you have? (Our house is 1880, lots of oak).

Istillfeelseventeen Wed 29-Jun-11 14:36:12

My friend has done all woodwork in F&b string. Looks gorgeous

KateMiddletonsEyebrows Wed 29-Jun-11 16:17:54

String looks gorgeous, but it's very yellow/creamy.

I wondered about slipper satin or clunch? or maybe great white?

mathanxiety Thu 30-Jun-11 00:49:31

I love sagey greens and grey blues. My house had natural dark wood, sagey greens and grey blues for walls, with a clean white (no trace of grey or yellow) where the wood was painted (some windows, and the wainscoting). I recommend having some of the wood stripped and stained medium-dark if you can and if there's a chance it's old wood.

microserf Thu 30-Jun-11 07:29:17

we used wimbourne white on all our woodwork, and it looks lovely. very simple though. i think slipper satin or clunch would also look fantastic.

KateMiddletonsEyebrows Sat 02-Jul-11 19:41:15

Thanks everyone. I think we're going to get testers for a few - I like the look of slipper satin.

We're having some stained wood, but the window frames will be painted, so it will be a nice mixture I hope.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now