Talk

Advanced search

How do websites get away with blatant rip offs of design classics and is it really bad to buy them?

(4 Posts)
trixymalixy Sun 26-Jun-11 13:06:27

is it because the copyright, or whatever applies in these cases has expired?

I love the artichoke light, but would have to win the lottery to afford one. There's loads of websites selling copies.

How bad would it be to buy the rip off?

lalalonglegs Mon 27-Jun-11 09:39:03

Not bad at all, imo. It particularly annoys me that a lot of design classics were meant to be affordable but the patents were bought up when their creators died (or when they were young and not famous) and elite furniture houses have been making a fortune from them ever since.

The knock-off sellers get away with it by saying that they are "inspired by" the originals rather than purporting to be identical - much the same way that Prada doesn't sue Primark when it rips off its designs.

belsize77 Mon 27-Jun-11 11:12:05

Does anyone have a view or any personal experience as to whether any of the knock off websites or companies are better than the others?

trixymalixy Mon 27-Jun-11 17:43:20

I'm looking at bluesuntree at the moment. Would be interested to know if anyone has bought from them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now